Blue bottle identification

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
truedigr said:
Is the base square like a Hazard bottle or rectangle like the Citrate?

It is rectangular like this http://imgur.com/MSaJk0W I'm still searching guys. I'm also intrigued why the embossing was removed. And the fact that very few of them have "New York" prominently at the bottom.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Do bottles often have initials without periods after them? There aren't any periods on this one but initials could make the name a lot less weird. It's also possible it isn't a medicine bottle at all, I've seen cobalt shoe or stove polish bottles from New York before.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
CO_bottle_digger said:
It is rectangular like this http://imgur.com/MSaJk0W I'm still searching guys. I'm also intrigued why the embossing was removed. And the fact that very few of them have "New York" prominently at the bottom.

It was probably removed so they could use a mold that was no longer being used for making generic bottles. Though I can't remember ever seeing another instance of this happening, the peening-out is usually to put updated information about the company in its place. Sorry, what do you mean very few of them have "New York" prominently at the bottom? Very few of what?

Reaction score
CanadianBottles said:
It's not absolutely impossible for it to be Hazard if the person doing the peening-out did weird shapes over certain letters, but then you've got two unexplained letters before Hazard and three letters after it.

I don't like the spacing on that very first O shape to the next letter - Almost as if it is a logo. And how confident do you think that last couple letters is Co?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah there is something a bit weird about that first O shape. I was wondering if it might be something other than a letter but I couldn't think of what. I've never seen a logo shrunk down to the size of a line of text on a bottle, and that would look really weird if they did it. I just had a thought though, what if it was a first initial that was smaller than the rest of the text so they just peened-out the whole thing in a circle? Seems like a bit of a stretch but I feel whatever the answer is it'll seem like a bit of a stretch because there's just nothing it could obviously be. And I'm 100% confident that the last letters are Co. An ampersand (&), followed by a large round letter and a half-sized round letter couldn't possibly be anything else.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh I hadn't seen a picture of that Hazard bottle. I'm going to try to go about this in a more scientific way in Photoshop. The A is clear enough that we can figure out a bit of what the other letters looked like. If we can assume that the font is the same stroke (how thick the lines of the letters are) all the way through the word, then we can rule out a lot of letters and maybe figure out what a few more of the letters are.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'm almost positive that there are two names. I think the second one may be YARD. Does anyone know of any New York chemists named Yard?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Do Irish names ever start with lower case o's? As in o'Connor? That looks weird, maybe not. That first letter really looks like a small O.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
In the 1850's there was a guy named Thomas S. Yard making patent medicines. I wonder if he ever got into a partnership.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776