Blue bottle ...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glassforest

Reaction score
Hello, all! This site has proved an invaluable resource and I thank you all tremendously! A big question for all my fellow diggers ~ how do you know which bottles to bring home?!? Some that I think are awesome turn out to be the most common items! No matter there, I guess. One man's trash, and all that.

Our most recent find included this blue bottle. It has a top that has about half a dozen holes as well as a removable top with same. Bottom reads: Bourjois with a "2" sideways from the name ... any ideas?

Thanks tons! Gayla

7921C866178F4DB38BC2ADCF6B7CA4C1.jpg

Attachments

• 7921C866178F4DB38BC2ADCF6B7CA4C1.jpg
    7921C866178F4DB38BC2ADCF6B7CA4C1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 54

madpaddla

Reaction score
Glassforest:

Welcome to the forum and glad that you like it. I have also found it to be invaluable. Your question is a very complex one with thousands of answers. This is my personal opinion and is worth nothing. lol Regarding what bottles to keep etc. Your own peragative is most important. Regarding bottle value etc. On most (not all but most), embossing is better. Aqua is better than clear, commons are just that...common, the more you look at bottles/shapes/etc the better knowledge you will have regarding value/rarity/etc., the internet is a great resource (look for blob tops, different lips, pontils, etc), and Antique Bottles Forum taught me so much. The folks are very nice.. Hope this is alittle help. Thats my own opinion hope it helps. Madpaddla

glassforest

Reaction score
Much thanks, Madpaddla! Printed out your opinion and will tack it to the board in my soon to be "crib"! We have an unused corncrib that my husband is installing double-sinks in so that I can clean bottles to my hearts content ... without bringing them into the house!

He has so much to learn!! [:D] Thanks again!

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Probaly some kind of Talcum Powder, as far as what to bring home, what works for me is "If I like it & find it interesting I bring it home".
I tend to have a few 1000 bottles at any one time, some I sell, give away, or rebury, some I keep.

huffmnd

Reaction score
As far as what bottles to keep, I say keep them all until you know what is valuable or not. That way you don't go and throw away something that you later find out that is the ultra rare bottle that everyone would give their eye teeth for. Eventually when you keep coming up with the same bottles all of the time you will find out what is common and what is not. Unless you find the motherlode that we all hope to find.

JGUIS

Reaction score
I have a cobalt perfume with the same on the bottom. My guess for your was scented talc, but who knows.

dirtflicker

Reaction score
The bottle you depicted definately is a cosmetic powder...etc...

Now as far as which bottles to keep.......well.......that most definately depends on what you decide to collect.....and what you would like to collect will help you decide where to dig......

What I am getting at is this...lets say for example, you want to find embossed milk bottles....you will need to dig at dumps that are from the 1900-1940 time range.....If you are efter mold-blown meds or bitters....etc...you need to dig at dumps that are before 1910.....this may or may not make sense to you but if you research antique bottles on the web, you will know what I mean for sure.....

DF

glassforest

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have replied. I can hardly wait until I can provide answers for others. Until then, know that all of you are much appreciated.

capsoda

Reaction score
Josh is right, it was a scented talc. They are still in business. Google up the name.[:)]

If you are into bottles for love of the hunt, dig, find and collect, keep what strikes your fancy and research at you leasure. Enjoy your bottles.

If you are in for moola, embossed and pontiled bottles, fancy colored bottles, odd bottles. Buy tons of books, do tons of research, take pill by the ton for your nearves.

Everyone starts out the same way and in time you will learn more than you ever thought possible about bottles. But remember to have fun most of all.[:)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75