Boating for Bottles!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Stony99

Reaction score
Well, a while back I made a post about "bottle netting". It was about going out fishing in a kayak in a flooded area where I ended up NETTING some bottles that were just floating in the floatsom.

Well this past weekend, I ended up doing a kayak trip on a river, and lo and behold, I paddled along a bank and found an incredable amount of glass from all different time periods. AND I was able to reach out of the boat and pull a bottle right out of the bank!

My bottle finds started on Friday night. I "gave up" on a strawberry bed I had in my backyard and gave them to a friend. We dug up a patch of strawberries I had growing for the past 5 years or so, and when we did, I found a very odd bottle. It was broken, but it looked like a "little brown jug", but was square and the size of a Carters ink. Very odd little bottle. Saturday night I went camping in a very old area that has a lot of abandon sawmill towns. That night I WAS looking for bottles or bottle sites and found very little. Maybe a few privy sites, and a smaller, newer dump site.

Sunday I was just out kayaking with some friends and bottles were the furtherst thing from my mind. Toward the end of the trip, were were paddling into a strong headwind, so I paddled close to shore to try to find shelter from the wind. Since it had a fairly steep bank, I thought the wind would be less. And I was right. But I looked over at the shore and it was full of glass! Bottles, China, Jugs and all sorts of garbage. Then I saw a blue bottle sticking out of the bank. I was able to grab it right from the boat! It reminded me of a few months ago when I was netting bottles from a boat! Crazy chit for sure! How often can you just pluck bottles from a boat?

The steep bank dropped off into deep water, and I expect that this might be a great dive site for bottles. It appears to be an old dump (pretty extensive) that the creek cut into over the years. There didn't seem to be any evidence of any bottle diggers ever digging this spot. Went back on the 4th with a hand tool and did a little scratching around a bit. Found a few newer bottles. Nothing to brag about. Lots of older bottle parts.

It jogged my memory and reminded me of a few other places I had seen a dump on the banks of a creek or river in the past. I seem to do better at finding bottles when I'm not looking for them!

CC0D315354344B5F9320D45B2014B5B3.jpg

Attachments

• CC0D315354344B5F9320D45B2014B5B3.jpg
    CC0D315354344B5F9320D45B2014B5B3.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 45

Stony99

Reaction score
In the above photo, you can see the blue bottle in the bank facing neck out.

751500FBD81F4C0FB0CF37CB72B2DAC6.jpg

In this photo you can see the water line and the boat and how close the bank is. A person could possibly dig bottles right from the boat without even getting out! LOL!

Attachments

• 751500FBD81F4C0FB0CF37CB72B2DAC6.jpg
    751500FBD81F4C0FB0CF37CB72B2DAC6.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 49

Blackglass

Reaction score
Wow, looks like you have a nice spot. I wish the riverbanks were like that where I am, everyuthing is smashed to bits, and even if you do get something intact it isn't a bottle, it's a common, or 1950's junk.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I was there with Stony yesterday and that is a very promising dump that goes for nearly 200 feet along the shore. Mostly ABM but a fair share of BIM too. I will paddle back some day soon. Thank you Stony.

PD

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Ditto,..It was vr. gracious of Stony to show us his spot. I've only ever found one other dump that could be dug from a canoe, and Penn Digger's brother told us about that one....(we had been noticing a good size hand thrown brown jug minus it's handle while at his bros house, and asked him where it came from,...) He mentioned he had found it while fishing....the main difficulty with that dump was the layer was mostly below the water line and it was a sharp drop off below it. Pretty cool way to get to, find, and dig for bottles.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Remember the area on the same "waterway", we walked around a couple weekends ago? I found a marble, and some other promising glass and pottery shards. I'm sure there's more there too, and no water vehicles are required. I should add, it was just Joe and me that day.

splante

Reaction score
this is how I got into the hobby, simiiler story, canoe and walking along the river bed after the 2010 ri flood,been hooked eversince, nice finds , if you search some of my first post and questions are stiruies are almost the same, nice find

Stony99

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

I was there with Stony yesterday and that is a very promising dump that goes for nearly 200 feet along the shore.   Mostly ABM but a fair share of BIM too.  I will paddle back some day soon.  Thank you Stony.

PD

You're welcome Penn and Joe! As soon as I found the site I thought of you guys! That is why I came right to your place before I stopped home! And it was well worth it, since I got fed a real delicious meal that was badly needed after being on the river all day long!

I knew that dump was too big a project for me to dig. And as I have said here before, and probably have proven beyond all doubts ......... I'm more of a "find them laying on the surface" kind of guy. I like discovering locations, and then just taking the "easy pickings" off the top!

I knew that you would enjoy that dump more than I would. And I really appreciated getting the bottles you guys didn't want.

I've got a few more sites like that, that I might show you one day. Dumps with "land access".

One of the reasons that site might not have been dug, was probably the fact that its a "boat in only" site. And it's tucked away in a corner nobody would look for such a site.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS