Pretty sweet dump found on the river bank

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CCB420

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback y'all!! And @hemi, do you soak em in lemon juice, or just use it on a brush?

hemihampton

Reaction score
The cans appear to date from most likely 1947-1955 time frame. Leon.

P.S. responded to your p.m.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback y'all!! And @hemi, do you soak em in lemon juice, or just use it on a brush?
Wash as much dirt off as you can first. I use a 50/50 mix of warm water and lemon juice and have had good results, an over-night soaking should show some label.

CCB420

Reaction score
So is there any situation where the citric acid start affecting the paint,or is it possible to soak too long?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
So is there any situation where the citric acid start affecting the paint,or is it possible to soak too long?
Yes to both questions, you want to be checking on them fairly regularly to avoid losing too much of the paint.

hemihampton

Reaction score
paint holds up better on older cans, Citrus is not good for cleaning crowntainers. early 60's paint like to flake easy. with cans as rough as yours your mostly trying to see enough of a ghost image to make out what it actually is. any can that rough I wouldn't worry about ruining it because when done what ever the results it will likely be worthless or almost worthless anyways (no insult intended) unless it's a super rare can. a super rare can, can have value depending on exactly how rare & how rough it is. Just my professional opinion. been Cleaning Beer Cans since 1975, 48 years. Leon.

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
Soak a few hours & lightly brush with soft bristle tooth brush, Rinse & resoak & repeat till you start seeing something. Leon.

CCB420

Reaction score
Have a small thing of lemon juice, but was waiting til the weekend where I can have a better eye on the process

RonM

Reaction score
I have a worthpoint account, so I looked this up on there. Only about 6-7 results for this brand but that included the red pepper powder, sauce, and pickled peppers. There were two of this powder type that looked exactly the same. Those were sold on ebay 5-6 years ago for $20, so the market value today for this piece may be $30 - $50 depending on collectability and condition of piece. It does seem to be fairly uncommon, as most from this brand are for the sauce.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen