Bog Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
andy volkerts said:
Except for the early handysides cure bottles Diceys elixirs, Dalbys carminative, Patent candle co, and a whole raft of great looking beer or ale, soda bottles with Griffiths, Lions, Birds, Dogs, buildings, monuments and so forth embossed into some of the greatest glass colors done..............

Oh yeah, there's definitely a lot of nice glass over there, glass that really puts our bottles to shame! I should have said latter quarter of the 19th century, not later half. The thing about all those beautiful bottles is that they seem to just not be that collectible because there are so many of them. Which is a real shame, I have quite a few British bottles and I love them, they look much nicer than most of my North American bottles. The thing about the British bottle collecting scene is that because their bottles are so great the ones that we would think of as amazing finds if they were from this side of the pond are just everywhere over there, the way there are so many Philly tallboy blobs that even rare ones are common in a sense. I assume local bottles there are collectible like local bottles are here, but people who collect nationwide glass bottles look for things so amazing that we wouldn't dream of such things being produced here, such as coloured lip Codds or some truly outlandish poison bottles. Stoneware, though, seems to be what they're generally focused on, I guess because it's easiest to find. Especially those pot lids, those things are beautiful.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Have to agree with CanadianBottles that there are some spectacular Irish bottles. When I lived in Dublin, I lived near the site of the old Irish Glass Bottle Company. I'd occasionally find marked examples (IGB / IGBCo.) from this glass works and still have a 2-ounce sample-sized emerald green Irish cream liquor bottle. I always wanted to find a poison from this glass works. I heard rumours of them, but have never seen one.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen