Bottle finds from a dumpsite/creek

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:)]You could find some pretty good sodas, I would not even bother with the other stuff. There are a lot of soda bottle collectors here and some of them like the twenties thru fifties stuff, and that looks like the ages of the bottles in your pics........Andy

rockbot

Reaction score
We got some ACL (painted) sodas and milks that sell for outrageous prices. They are usually in outstanding condition and found in an old garage or crawl space so you never know. Finding one in the woods is possible but the condition is usually poor.
Good luck and welcome to ABN![:)]

MIdigger

Reaction score
Keep digging and as others have said youll start finding more valuable/collectible ones. I got hooked after my first dig too. I built a sifting box and took it with me. I did find a few nice bottles, but the sifter helped me clean up on jewelry/coins/marbles which are all good too.
Also, if you come across scrap copper, brass (maybe some heavier pcs of aluminum too) you can sell the scrap and help finance your new addiction. One day my pal and I cleared 105.00 in scrap brass for a little work, not to mention the silver dimes/bottles and marbles too.

I went out this am for a few hours. Found some 40s food bottles (left those unless they are unique) and found one embossed, 2 small old irons, and some scrap copper tube and brass fittings. The sifter didnt pay off today though, nothing but small junk.

You will want to keep most of the pop bottles/embossed beers/ but you will learn what to leave and what to take. The folks on the forum have always been most helpful, and usually will answer your questions quickly or have links to what you are looking for. Good luck!! Were off at dawn tomorrow to a new area.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Welcome to the FORUM Ryan; and the life of bottle and glass collecting. It is a great hobby, one I have been involved with for 74 years. I think I have your email address, but I thought others might be interested in this advise.
> Judging from your picture, I think the first rule of thumb is 'Don't bother with any bottles or jars that have vertical mold lines on the finish'. This tells you that the item is an ABM product. (ie.Automatic Bottle Machine). Do consider figural and unique designs.
> Milk bottles and ACL sodas (ie. Applied Color Labels) are collected items.by a lot of people and good for trading items to bring home..
Good luck and rest assured there is a lot of great help in this FORUM.
RED Matthews

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RED Matthews

Welcome to the FORUM Ryan; and the life of bottle and glass collecting.  It is a great hobby, one I have been involved with for 74 years.  I think I have your email address, but I thought others might be interested in this advise.
> Judging from your picture, I think the first rule of thumb is 'Don't bother with any bottles or jars that have vertical mold lines on the finish'.  This tells you that the item is an ABM product.  (ie.Automatic Bottle Machine).  Do consider figural and unique designs.
> Milk bottles and ACL sodas (ie. Applied Color Labels) are collected items.by a lot of people and good for trading items to bring home..
Good luck and rest assured there is a lot of great help in this FORUM.
RED Matthews

I agree with Red to a point. It's a bit harsh to throw something away just because it's ABM, in fact a lot of ABM bottles are collected.

I'd say a better rule of thumb is "If it's ABM and doesn't have any embossing or ACL, THEN you can throw it out". Of course, not all embossed bottles are worth anything, that's where further research comes in handy...

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
dapperandy ~

When in doubt (especially with soda bottles) I say "Keep'em all!" You can always throw them away "later" after you get home and figure out what you have.

Good luck.

SPBOB

dapperandy

Reaction score
Get my email, epackage?

ORIGINAL: epackage

I can send you some bottles if you would like, something a little bit better, no charge just say the word....Jim[8D]

splante

Reaction score
WElcome
I pretty much follow sodapopbobs creed below,unless its too much of a hassel to bring the no markings,embossing,or labels out of the woods or where ever. I feel worse case is they endup in the recycle bin and I cleaned up a area a little.Most do end up in the recycle bin, but have cleaned up a few when I got home and found some keepers that I would of left behind
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

dapperandy ~

When in doubt (especially with soda bottles) I say "Keep'em all!"  You can always throw them away "later" after you get home and figure out what you have.

Good luck.

SPBOB

David Fertig

Reaction score
Yup. Drag it home. You can always throw it out later. I even drag home interesting shards and broken bottles if it is something different. I have a milk with a BB hole in it that I was offered $500 for 20 years ago. As far as I know, it's still the only one known.

Experience will help. Check FeeBay completed auctions and see what has sold. You can't go by buy-it-now prices or opening bid prices unless someone has bid.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter