Bottle Identification

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi, Ive got this old bottle (which I think is an old chemists bottle - but not sure). Its black glass and measure about 30cm tall, and the base is about 13cm and the widest part about 20cm. It has a rough large pontil underneath. Some of the writing which was on the bottle originally has worn off and I cant read what it says. Any help with this bottle would be great. Many thanks, Sarah [:)]

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/bottle.jpg

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/bottlebum.jpg

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi Tabatha,

Welcome to the forum. That's a very old and valuable bottle, probably from the second half of the 18th century (say 1770 or so). You are right in that it was probably a chemist's bottle, I can't read the content lable. It looks English to me. It's worth a lot of money, don't drop it [:)]

Sean

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi amblypygi, thanks for the welcome and for your help. Wow, I didnt think it was that old, I was thinking of putting it on ebay for 99p start. [:D] What sort of shape would you call it? Ive done some searches on "onion" shape, and "mallet", but I cant see any the same as this one. Thanks again for your help, Sarah [:)]

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Certainly looks like an English chemists or druggists shop bottle. Very collectable, and if you're going to put it on eBay do so with a start price of at least £99, rather than 99 pence! Should go for at least twice that suggested start price, I reckon.
Might be best to describe it as something along the lines of a freeblown druggists display bottle, globe or onion shape, with pontil mark and 18th or early 19th century.
DBD

Tabatha

Reaction score
Thanks deepbluedigger, I will start it at £99 like you've suggested. Finger crossed it will sell. Thanks for the title too, I didnt have a clue [:D]. Do you think I should put it on a bit lower and perhaps put a reserve on it? Thanks for your help, Sarah [:)]

Miles

Reaction score
Frankly, no. There's no need to waste your money on a reserve price when this type of bottle will get what it's worth. These bottles with a bit of a label don't show up much on Ebay, let alone one with your bottle's lip style. You should start it at the amount deepblue said, and see what it gets.

Tabatha

Reaction score
Thanks Miles [:)]

I have just put it on now (took me ages to put it on) with no reserve and at the 99.00 start price. I will let you all know if it sells. Many thanks, Sarah

swizzle

Reaction score
Can you post the ebay link? I'd like to see how it does and I'm sure you can get a few people from here that will throw a bid or two at you. Just post the link under current auction and sales. Jason

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi swizzle

I have listed it as post to UK (which I do with most of the things I put on so I can track them with Recorded Delivery). Do you think it would do better if I listed it as Worldwide? If so, what would be the safest option on postage. It is really heavy (about 1.75kg without packaging), so perhaps overseas bidders wouldnt be interested with the cost the postage would be.

I will pop the link on the other board. Many thanks, Sarah

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter