Bottle-nosed whale in Thames!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mihai

Reaction score
If I sent you a private now will you be able to read it?

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Mihai...

Yeah, I've had the... "wits" scared out of me! I'd be a liar if I told you different.[&o]

The first shark I saw was a 12' Tiger Shark in 90 feet of water in Hawaii... Tigers are responsible for a lot of attacks on humans...[:-]

I was clearing rope out of a propeller, several years ago when I was slammed into by a seal that was trying to get at a fish thrown overboard by one of the deckhands...[&:]

Last year, I was twelve miles off shore, clearing a huge net out of the props of an offshore dragger (commercial fishing boat) when I caught a glimpse of a "Minkie" whale that circled the boat several times... He got about 15 feet away... it was huge!!![:eek:]

And I recoverd the body of a good friend (a commercial diver), who fell off the dock while shovelling snow in a february snowstorm... the water was about 34degrees and he never had a chance. His wife called me to the scene at 2:00 am in the morning and I found him in less than five minutes. I knew right where he would be... He was a good kid.[&o]

So, yup... there is always a fear of the unknown in the back of your head... no matter how much experience you have... we all have or threshhold of fear.

Wayne

Mihai

Reaction score
Wayne, these stories are at another level than the usual fishing tale. I'm sorry that you were in situation to recover a coleg. Maybe it wasn't the only time when you had to see something horrific like this.
Even though I live now in England, I'm originaly from Romania where we don't have big sharks, only one metre or so, but what we have is huge catfish. The record is about 5 metres (about 15 feet if I'm not wrong). In a village a young girl was missing after swiming in a nearby lake, so the police called for commercial divers to try to find her, to be burried properly but after they saw the monsters living in that lake they realised what happend with the poor girl. And they didn't dived again.
If anglers want to catch a big catfish they use a hole chicken, slightly rotten for smell, you know, and chained on a car.
But on the bright side you have to live your life, with decent precautions, but with the peace of mind that if it's got to be, it will be, regardless. You know about that guy who went down Niagara in a barrel, didn't die, but steped on a banana skin in his home town in Australia and died? S**t happends.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Mihai...

I've seen some big catfish, but 15 feet? "Holy crap!!!" that's outrageous...[:eek:]

I know what you mean about **it happening, my friend died about 12 years ago, I've moved on and in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have added that bit of info to the thread. I was a police officer back then, so it was part of my job...

Things do have a way of happening... good and bad. We take our punches and move on. Learn... grow older... learn some more... then hunt for bottles.

Anyway, enough of that. Didn't mean to bring you down...[:-]

Got any bottles to show us?[8D]

Wayne

Mihai

Reaction score
Don't warry Wayne. I'm not easy to bring down. I'm just sympathetic with others. My motto in life is "Every kick in the arse is a step farward".

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Mihai...

sometimes every kick in the ass is a push forward!!! All things happen for a reason...

On another note, a good friend of mine is a Britt, another commercial diver who is into bottle collecting. He just started his bottle "fever" Awful nice guy... He's like 6'3" so I call him the "Big Britt" He's funny... He's married to an American girl and they live in New Hampshire now, but he goes back home once or twice a year to see his mum. I'll have to ask him what town he's from. I'll get him into the forum too. He'll be a great addition!

He has a good sense of humor, just like us...[;)]

Wayne

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Mihai, Thats the kind of saying that gets me out of bed inthe morning, A Kick in The Arse.[sm=lol.gif]

I was at Upper Hayford in the 70s with the Air Forse. Rented a car to go to London and spent an hour stuck in a round about. The traffic director cop dude stopped traffic so we could escape. caused quite a roar. Never did that again.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Hey Wayne you going to give me a kick every morning to get me started?[sm=lol.gif]

IRISH

Reaction score
They have had that whale on the news here, amazing it would go up there [:D] , I'd have thought the water would have killed it in a big city like that.

Wayne, do you carry a bangstick or some sort of explosive head spear in waters that have large toothy things in them?

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Irish...

Naw...no bangstick or explosives (sounds kinda fun though!!!) [:D] All I have to do is take my mask off and they all turn and run!!! Specially after they see "the rock sticking out of the top of my drysuit!"[:eek:]

Wayne

Hey Warren, I'm not gonna give you a kick or a push... we use snow to get the boys started in the morning. A good ole snowball under the warm, roasty toasty blankets gets them up and out of bed real quick. It seems to work pretty good.

Now that the snow is all but gone, we have to use ice cubes...

Mihai

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried to find some pictures to support the theory that catfish can grow a lot. I wasn't exactely succesfull but here you have a very old one with a fish of about 3.35m and 250kg.
The fish was cought in Danube river which wash romanian land.

Qo39593.jpg

Attachments

• Qo39593.jpg
    Qo39593.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 48

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1