BottleDig1's Bottle Cleaner

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleDig1

Reaction score
Since you have helped me with my questions, I thought I might give back a little by posting my new discovery...

I'm just getting started in the hobby of bottle collecting, but I have already discovered a great way to clean old bottles; LISTERINE!

I accidentally bought a bottle of the off-brand Listerine mouthwash at Wal-Mart one day. (The stuff that burns your tongue off.)

After I discovered my mistake the hard way, (YEEEOW!!! [:'(]) I threw it under the sink thinking I could use it to unclog drains. (it's potent enough!) [:D]

Anyway, I had some really grody old bottles that I dug out of a ditch one day that had mold and mildew (and other nasty gunk) on them. No amount of scrubbing would take it off.

Untill I looked under the sink and saw the tongue burner.

Rinse the bottle with a garden hose,
Pour it in,
stir it around,
brush it with an old tooth brush,
rinse,
GUNK GONE!

I thought ''DANG! THIS STUFF IS ACTUALLY USEABLE!!!''

Now, cleaner bottles do not exist in the state of Alabama.

>I only tried the stuff on newer crown top soda bottles (all I've found so far) WITHOUT labels.
I don't know if it would hurt old labels or older pre-1900 bottles, but I would try it out on a junker first.

I may have to ''invent'' and market ''BottleDig1's Amazing bottle cleaner'' and sell it for ten bucks a pop... [:D]

Anyway, [:)] try some Listerine on one of your bottles and let me know how it turns out.

Hope this will help you out,

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Bottledig, your 'listerine' isn't going to hurt any pre-1900 bottles as far as the glass goes, but I would take care around any labels. I messed up a nice Qt. Moxie ACL 'Dietetic" soda I pulled out of a surface dump last fall. The orange on the label was nice and orange, but the white was kind of dull so I took a swab and straight clorox bleach to 'brighten' it up a little. The orange is now almost bled out as is the white - dumb lazyman's mistake!

BottleDig1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Maine.
So you want to buy a bottle of my secret cleaning formula? [:D]
It's only ten dollars for a large 1oz bottle!!!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Bottledig, if this stuff takes off, we who tried it & tested it for you demand to be listed as members of the R&D department in your advertisments and when you accept the Nobel Prize! lol We also demand a % of the profits!

ladyp3797

Reaction score
I can't wait to try that!!!

It's so exctiting! My Dad, who is 75, just built a bottle tumbler for me ( Yep Norm, it's in tests phase now!!) I think I will try and use it as a cleaning agent, with some fine sand!!

I am in early testing phase now, just put in a 'non- junkie", for the first time.

But I will let you know about the Listerine addditive.
LP

BottleDig1

Reaction score
Thanks, Everyone!
I have cleaned almost one hundred bottles with only 2 bottles of listerine! That stuff goes a long way.

Have a nice day,

Yv65939.jpg

Attachments

• Yv65939.jpg
    Yv65939.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 141

bottle_girl

Reaction score
Wow! It works great! I just tried it out. I had a Dr. W.B. Caldwell's bottle that was so hazy you couldn't even read it without straining... It's clean as a whistle now!! Thanks for the idea... I love it

Bottle girl

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583