Bottleshow.com

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottleboy311

Reaction score
Hay have any of you seen or used this web site to buy or sell?

www.bottleshow.com

I am trying to sell some higher priced fruit jars for my mom, and I want to get the best price for her, seeing as this is part of her retirement. Selling them on ebay could end up being a crap shoot. I saw a Jar listed last week, one she has, and is in the red book for $250.00 - $325.00. It sold on ebay for $161.00. Just wondering if any one has had any luck in using this site to sell and what you think about it.

Lee

bearswede

Reaction score
Lee...

Check with forum member Mike George (earlyglass)... He runs the web site.

Ron

earlyglass

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation Ron. I have sent the information to Lee, and it would be nice to see some of his fruit jars up on the website.

For anyone who has not visited the website in the past, here is the link.

BOTTLESHOW WEBSITE

Thanks,
Mike

tombstone

Reaction score
ebay will have more traffic, more potential buyers, resulting in higher sale price. to sell higher priced items a seller should have at least 50 feedback 100% positive (as a seller). If you don't have it find someone who does to sell it for you. Never have a start above .99 cents. You'll pay higher fees for higher start but the starting price doesn't matter, you're interested in the final price. Have an accurate title, be very descriptive, including any flaws. Include redbook numbers and value. Have GOOD PICTURES, Make sure the pictures are actually of the item you are selling. Offer a return policy (you aren't obligated to refund shipping, and buyers are more confident in bidding when they know you stand behind your product). Charge actual shipping plus a couple bucks to pack the item and state the shipping/handing charges on the auction page. If you are concerned about the final price, set a reserve.

These are simple, common sense guidlines, but you might be surprised at how many listings miss one or more of the above criteria, and lose bidders because of it.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Points well taken about Ebay. I sell quite a bit on Ebay as well. I would like to add though... Ebay can "nickel and dime" you to death. Once you've paid your sellers fees, commissions, upgrades, etc... you are paying for for one item than you are for a whole table (25 items) on my website. Not to mention, that Ebay can be very "hit or miss", and even if your item doesn't sell on the first, second, or third try... you are still paying fees.

Let's compare this another way... many collectors will pay $30, $40, even $50 to set up at a bottle show. They may get 200 collectors coming through the door over a 5 hour period. My website has consistently had over 100,000 hits per month and over 2500 unique vistors per month, all for under $15. It is also open 24/7. It never closes!

Just like this website, the fees cover my costs right now. My site is just another forum for connecting buyers and sellers, not trying to replace Ebay, but wouldn't that be nice!

Thanks, Mike

woody

Reaction score
I dug one of those Dr. Poland bottles in the recessed arched like you have for sale, Mike.
The elusive Dr. Polands bottle that I have been trying to find is the Dr. Polands Headache Killer, that I dug pieces to.
I've never seen another one listed like it.

tombstone

Reaction score
Best of luck with the site mike. Ebay needs the competition, if they get hit hard enough maybe they'll make the changes that everybody but them seems to know needs to be made.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The Redbook is a great reference... but...
My experience with fruit jars has been most jars that are not VERY rare sell for less than the Redbook value.
I've actually done better selling lids than jars.

barbieheid

Reaction score
>The Redbook is a great reference... but...
My experience with fruit jars has been most jars that are not VERY rare sell for less than the Redbook value.

What is this 'Redbook'?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The Red Book of Fruit Jars by Doug Leybourne is the Bible for fruit jar collectors.
A must have if you deal in glass.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH