Boxes & boxes of muddy bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Newtoit

Reaction score
I'm thinkin padded cell style and loosen the belt on the agitator to slow it down. I'm probably dreaming in Technicolor though. lol
Debbie

surfaceone

Reaction score
714FD50C7ECB4BC48F6837342F9598AF.jpg

Hey Debbie,

Beautiful landscape photo and view? Lake is looking peaceful. Is that a recent sunset?

Where to start is THE problem. Also where to put them.

This is a wonderful problem to have, but win-win all around. Some of the ones in this box would never have come home with me. The milk glass cold cream, unless a Madame C.J. Walker, woulda been reburied, along with the 2 ring necked champagnes / wines unless embossed. [8D]

ORIGINAL: Newtoit

truck

A4DE811EB41B4261914E3C889C1DBFD3.jpg

Can't say for the cylinder or the crown behind it. You'll quickly learn from digging at the clip you're currently on, what the commons are for your area. That stoneware Bristol glazed guy, peaking from the back row, is of interest.

I no longer bring home unembossed common bottle forms, unless they have some compelling characteristic like color, crudeness, unknown mark, etc. You'll be buried in glass, if you keep this up. [8D]

Talking broadly, TOC unembossed fruit jars or packers go in the green bucket. One doesn't need too many slick druggists, ketchups, horseradish, or olive oils, etc.

I speak from experience, and must disclose that I have a small mountain of old boxes, mouldering in a garage corner, as I type. I'm gonna have to rediscover them one of these days, but know that they will have to be heavily culled. I'm not trying to stiffle, cuz I have been there. I am there. I do enjoy putting old glass with selenium and manganese-a-go-go into the recycling, wondering, all the while, if some technician downstream even notices.

I do like Matt's carwash solution. You could hostess the Keep or Pitch thread for a bit... [8D]

CarWash10.jpg

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

A few years from now you're gonna look back like many of us and say to yourself

"Why did I keep every bottle I found back then, I should have been more selective. Time to head to the recycling center"[;)]

I just did it last fall....Jim

That comes with time.It is a learning process. Soon he wont think twice about smashing a few on a rock [:D]

flasherr

Reaction score
The one dump i have been able to dig is 30's era nothing really great comes out of there but its also i hike of about 3/4 mile so when i cary out buckets of commons have to be able to sell them at $2 or more or i leave it. i only cary them out to help pay for the gas of driving the hour to the dump. i always cary out cobalt blue unless broken people love that color and fairy common. I know most diggers wont waste time on it but im normally selling to general public or people who "collect bottles" you know the ones i mean. i only cary out plain slick bottles if i got a paper label i can put on it. btw always looking for paper labels if anyone has a quantity of them. I would love to find a 30's era MOM and Bromo that i could copy to put on plain bottles ( yes i do disclose if i put a copied label on a bottle)

Newtoit

Reaction score
Hey Surfaceone

Sunset's from November 2009. We get a lot of amazing ones here. A friend wants some of those common, boring food bottles. They don't know what they're in for!! They're gonna get a few boxes of them on their door step...lol[;)]

Some of the bottles I thought were plain and boring actually turned out to be embossed. They'll get hosed off when the warm weather comes.

Thanks
Debbie

Newtoit

Reaction score
Hey Flasherr

Not much survives being buried up here. Too wet. If I do come across any I'll scan them and let you know. I've seen some really neat decorating stuff done with cheap bottles so I'm hoping that will be a slightly profitable avenue for me. One of them uses 3 small bottles placed in a large cylinder vase with a single flower bud in each. Looks really cool and I've seen them for sale at a craft show for $50.00. The big vases sell here for $10.00 so $40.00 for 3 common bottles looks pretty good.

Thanks
Debbie

flasherr

Reaction score
well when you get around to some of your project please post pictures. im always looking for new things to do with bottles

Newtoit

Reaction score
Hey Flasherr

Not a problem. The also make great candle holders, just fill small bottles with sand first so they don't fall over. You can also look up local barter/trade yahoo groups in your area, you might be able to trade the commons for other stuff you want. Another good yahoo group id freecycle, people post usable stuff they don't want so someone else can use it instead of sending it to landfill.

Maybe we need a new catagory: How to make a profit on commons.

Debbie

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter