Broke my favorite find today....need help ID'ing.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TedNuggent

Reaction score
So when I got home today from digging, I was about to put my bag of newspaper wrapped bottles on the ground, and it slipped out of my hand somehow about 6 inches from the ground. I heard a loud smashing noise and was expecting the worst. Only 1 bottle broke, but it was my favorite today. It was a Citrate of Magnesia bottle but it DID NOT SAY that....it said a man's name and apothecaries Albany NY on it. I'm wondering possible value of a bottle like this? I know I never saw one until today....bummer that I made an error like that. I still got 3 hutches, a JSP bottle, stoneware jug, and some other goodies.

TedNuggent

Reaction score
Haha I'm asking worth of the bottle before it broke.

TedNuggent

Reaction score
Who in their right mind wouldn't know how much a SMASHED bottle is worth? Lol.

Plumbata

Reaction score
I'd figure it would be worth at least 20 bucks, but it all depends on regional demand. Some areas have stronger markets for citrates than others. I'd be livid if i broke one of my locals, as they are pretty darn scarce in these parts.

TedNuggent

Reaction score
Plumbata, I was steaming when I heard the bottle smash. I have NEVER seen that one before....and was going to go in my collection.....it looked so nice without the stupid "Citrate of Magnesia" on there. Very angry, but what can ya do?

Plumbata

Reaction score
I don't know how many dozens of the plain generic citrates I've dug, with only 4 locals in the mix. Thankfully they've all come out in good shape though. It is a shame that the Bottle Gods required a sacrifice of your best dig, but where you found one you may well find more, so good luck on your future outings!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I almost never use newspaper to wrap bottles simply because unwrapping them can be dicey. I just put them in a liquor box with the liter size dividers.

TedNuggent

Reaction score
Yes I need to figure out a more effective way to transport them.....this is the first time I broke one by accident....but 1 time is too many. The liquor box sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS