Brown Milk Bottles - How rare are they?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Leasacks

Reaction score
Newbie here! This is my second post.

My brother gave me a brown milk bottle last year for my birthday. He said the guy who sold it to him mentioned that brown milk bottles are rare. Maybe the guy was taking him for a ride so I hope he didn't pay alot for it. But, really, how rare are they?

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] Welcome to the forum. I think they are fairly common, when we used to get milk delivered in Stockton back in the fifties from morningside Dairy the milk came in unembossed brown quart bottles. It was said that the color protected the milk from the rays of the sun. So I believe it would depend on the dairy your bottle came from, does it have a name embossed into the glass on the bottle?????

Leasacks

Reaction score
Thank you Andy. I would take a pic of it for you but it is packed up in our attic at the moment. It definitely has markings on it but I can't think of what. I didn't really think they were all that rare so I really hope my brother didn't pay alot for it.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
If it is embossed (writing that is part of the glass) it is may be rare, also some of the painted label milks are quite collectable too, in fact I kinda like the painted label ones better, especially if they have cows on em or bright colors
ORIGINAL: Leasacks

Thank you Andy. I would take a pic of it for you but it is packed up in our attic at the moment. It definitely has markings on it but I can't think of what. I didn't really think they were all that rare so I really hope my brother didn't pay alot for it.

Leasacks

Reaction score
It is definitely a painted on logo. I faintly think in white with a logo pic of a silhouetted head. I hate that they are all packed up.

Leasacks

Reaction score
Here' the bottle. I dug out my stash.

3265782BCA484FF1A29826B368534A80.jpg

Attachments

• 3265782BCA484FF1A29826B368534A80.jpg
    3265782BCA484FF1A29826B368534A80.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 60

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:)] There is one of those on flea bay right now, I think I will check it outmaybe follow the auction and see what it brings...........

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] Hi Lea, found it the auction number is 230688783581 or go to antique bottles pre1900 on flea bay, and type in borden to see the guys auction...... He has started it out for 9.95 and it has six or so days to go.........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem