Bryants Bitters on eBay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Seems a bit pricey for a dug bottle with a replaced top no matter how in demand they are but I guess we'll find out.

botlguy

Reaction score
If you are not a "Dyed in the wool", "Hard Core" Western BITTERS bottle collector it is difficult to understand the mechanics of this stuff. These early, exclusively western bottles, Bitters & Whiskies in particular, was / is a way of us Westerners getting our pound of flesh from the snooty Eastern collectors. They held reign for a long time and Western bottles were looked down on, too new, not old enough, not attractive compared to the Flasks and figural bitters. Along comes the Bryant's, Cassin's, Lacuour's, Dr. Wonser's, etc. & Western Bitters were on the radar. Eastern collectors wanted them and had deep pockets. All that said, that particular bottle IS a bit steep but who knows? There are fewer than 6 - 8 total known. I will be keeping an eye of interest on it. Jim

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I like it Jim, well put.I wonder if the deeper pocketed western folk would pay more now if it is tied to a western glasshouse as opposed to just the bitters collectors. I suspect they would.Is it?Warren Friedrich would know if that part is true.I missed the opportunity to buy his book do to bad finances at the time he offered.[:mad:] That still bugs me!!!!!!

botlguy

Reaction score
I remember right after "The San Francisco Dig" a Bryant's Cone broke the record for bottle sales at, I believe I remember, $65,000. I don't know who it went to. There are some "Deep Pocket" western collectors but they don't seem to be quite as deep as eastern collector's. My "Deep Pockets" always seemed to be turned inside out. Jim

teamballsout

Reaction score
He/we have tried to keep em turned in but it just falls out the holes already burnt in them from the last pice of glass we drooled over and gave in to lol.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
botlguy said:
All that said, that particular bottle IS a bit steep but who knows? There are fewer than 6 - 8 total known. I will be keeping an eye of interest on it. Jim
And of this total, I believe that only three of them are without damage!!!

botlguy

Reaction score
Mitch, you are correct and while there is no PROOF either way, the consensus is and always been, in my view, that they are Eastern Made and used exclusively for a Western concern / business. That aside, both East & West get to crow about the Bryant's. GREAT bottle anyway you look at it. Jim

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunshine123