Burst top bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

beendiggin

Reaction score
Apparently it was a common practice to just burst off the top of many English inkwells, leaving the lip rough and jagged. I can't say I like them too much, but they are neat, except that they all look terribly broken. My question is this: What did the bottle look like with a proper closure? Does anyone have pics of what those inkwells looked like when they were on the store shelf? We seem to have so many examples of American bottles in original boxes with labels and contents, but I've never seen what an English burst top ink looks like in mint unopened condition. Anyone have one?

saratogadriver

Reaction score
The british inks that I've seen with label and contents were just a simple cork buried down amongst all that rough glass. I've seen a number that way.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: beendiggin

Apparently it was a common practice to just burst off the top of many English inkwells, leaving the lip rough and jagged. I can't say I like them too much, but they are neat, except that they all look terribly broken. My question is this: What did the bottle look like with a proper closure? Does anyone have pics of what those inkwells looked like when they were on the store shelf? We seem to have so many examples of American bottles in original boxes with labels and contents, but I've never seen what an English burst top ink looks like in mint unopened condition. Anyone have one?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4