Can't describe the feeling

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Ron, Heres a couple I did. Cleaned the post Civil War lock and restored the 1860s hand made and enameled pendant. Kinda been thumpin around the idea of restoring the lock.

Boy I have to do battle with the wife every time I want to show the pendant.[;)]

Sq47050.jpg

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
You guys sure do good work. Here's a couple more pics. After looking at the broken sideplate under a 30 power loupe I could see the two pieces matched perfectly. I tested superglue out on some brass pieces just to see if it would adhere to brass and it worked great. You have to look close to tell it was broken. The second pic is the mechanism after I soaked it in Evop-o-rust for about 20 hours. This stuff takes off all oxidized metal but leaves the good metal alone. It's pretty neat stuff. It was made for preping gun metal before reblueing. Thank you all for your intrest, help and posts. Kelley

Ca81224.jpg

Attachments

• Ca81224.jpg
    Ca81224.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 74

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Kelly. Looks good. Evop-o-rust must have phosphoric acid in it. Phosphoric acid loves metal and hates rust.

Good job.

exquisiteoaf

Reaction score
Hello everyone-

For the people in this thread that had questions about buying those uncleaned ancient coins:

I have worked on a good many batches of these uncleaned coins over the years. It's a lot of fun, and more often than not you're able to specifically ID most of the coins you end up with, learning a ton of interesting history along the way. You generally don't find anything valuable enough to profit from, but you never know for sure what you might get. You won't find any gold coins like those Ebay auctions claim, though I did once find a silver one.

The discussion board on the following website is an excellent place to start if you want to get into this hobby. There are a lot of experts on there who are very nice and will help you with any questions you might have.

http://www.forvmancientcoins.com/

Hope this helps someone,

Mike

swizzle

Reaction score
Where do you get evop-o-rust from? That looks like a better alternative then electralis (sp). swizzle

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Swizz, I have bought from a couple of places. www.nebraskanhotrod.com and www.orisonllc.com . I have used it, and I have also used electrolosis. Evapo-rust is safer in that it will not attack metal. Only rust. The draw back is that it is a slow process. What you can do with electrolosis in a few hours takes a few days with Evapo-rust. However, if you aren't careful with electrolosis, you can eat your artifact. Pros and cons to both. Evaporust isn't real cheap, but it can be reused time and time again. Hope this helps, Kelley

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem