cathedral pickle question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

judu

Reaction score
hey, i was wondering if anyone on here has alot of knowlege about cathedral pickle jars...i ask because today i met a lady here that has one she said her husband dug up on his construction site in the 1970s. i have never seen anything like this one. if its real, its the most amazing bottle ive ever seen in person. very very detailed and it had NY in the middle. four letters above it and some letters under it as well, i cant remember them.the thing that struck me was this bottle was not clear. almost a grey ash color with darker grey swirls in it. you could not see through it at all. i cant quit thinking about it, so i thought i would ask and see if anyone had a clue just by the description...sorry i dont have a picture of it,

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Judu I beleive the man your looking for is Jamie Lindsey aka GLASSMAN.
He is very knowledgable in regaurds to the cathedral food container bottles.

judu

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking kentohio, i tried to research some and found one like that...this one had some letters right below ny as well...i have never saw a cathedral pickle jar that was not see through though. are there such things as the way i described this one?....i will do my best to get a picture if possible.....

glass man

Reaction score
I AIN'T NO EXPERT,BUT HAVE NEVER HAVE HEARD OF THIS ONE! NEVER HEARD OF ONE EMBOSSED NEW YORK! MAN WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PICTURE OF IT! KNOW THE SIZE,THE BOTTOM ETC. SOUNDS RARE AS FAR AS I KNOW!! YEP NEED PICTURES! JAMIE

surfaceone

Reaction score
E.H.V.B.
N.Y.?

Hey Dan and Brian,

Here's a picture of the one Stephen/Plumbata dug last October.
9217_937083380250_1937295_53056458_7979439_n.jpg
From https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-262490/mpage-3/key-/tm.htm

Does this look like the Pickle in question?

all_story_weekly_19171229.jpg

judu

Reaction score
hey surface, thats a great start. thats the way ny was and the letters on top look like that as well. this one was just a bit larger than that one and much more decorated with gothic looking design.i know its hard to imagine without a picture.there were also letters under the ny as well just like the top....this lady had it wrapped in newspapre and when she took it out my first thought was that this was a reproduction of some kind. i say that because of the color. it was an ash color.almost like a vase or something. it was a lightish gray with darker gray swirled through out. the bottom was square with a large circle debossed in it. it just looked too nice to be real.it was in perfect shape except for a small chip on one side. this lady seemed really honest however and told me her husband dug this up in 1970 while doing construction in coulumbia sc. they tore down a historic building and this came from underneath it. thats when i thought "oh man, this thing is real"....she said she thought it was worth a couple hundred dollars. im still newish to the hobby but i have never saw a bottle like this. i was thinking in my head much higher....i will do my best to get a picture of this...its just the color that has me stumped. ....that picture surface is really close to the embossing. the NY was in the middle like that............

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers