CELEBRATED BERLIN STOMACH BITTERS BOTTLE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

smithman29

Reaction score
Hello to all. Being my first post on this forum, I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to discuss antique bottles with the many knowledgable forum members here.
The bottle in question was obtained by myself at a local PA. auction last week for the princely sum of $11. It is 9" tall and is root beer amber colored. There is one sunken label panel and reverse is embossed CELEBRATED BERLIN STOMACH BITTERS. It is in attic mint condition, exhibiting only one tiny non-radiated potstone in the middle of one edge of one of the beveled panels. The bottle is smooth based with kickup. The seams end below the bottom of the short neck.
I am soliciting any information about this bottle that the forum membership can provide, including approximate age, background, location, relative scarcity, and value opinions. Unfortunately I am unable to post a picture as I am informed file is too large. Suffice it to say that the bottle is shaped exactly like a Hostetter's Bitters.
Thank you for any info you care to share. Any and all opinions are welcome. Best regards to all.

smithman29

Reaction score
Hi Botlguy: Thank you for your research. Not being a bitters collector per se, I dont have access to that particular reference so I very much appreciate your input. Best regards.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Here is the first pic [:)]

173325E4767C4F339BCD760536ACD355.jpg

Attachments

• 173325E4767C4F339BCD760536ACD355.jpg
    173325E4767C4F339BCD760536ACD355.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 25

smithman29

Reaction score
Hi Frederic: Thank you for resizing and posting these pictures on the forum. Are any forum members familiar with this rather obscure bitters? Any known in a different color than amber? Thanks, again for any help regarding info. Best regards to all.

botlguy

Reaction score
O.K. Here’s what I know about this RARITY. C-90 was listed in Carlyn Ring’s 1980 volume FOR BITTERS ONLY. At that time it was considered as EXCEPTIONAL which meant that there were only 1 to 5 examples known to exist. The bottle was described also in books by Bartholomew “1250 Bitters Bottlesâ€, Umberger “It’s a Bitters & Vol. IIâ€, and Watson “Bitters Bottlesâ€.

The Ring – Ham book “Bitters Bottles†published in 1998 lists the bottle as Extremely Rare which again means that 1 to 5 examples are known. Same rarity but different term used. In 2004 Carlyn ring & Bill Ham produced a Supplement which did not add any additional information but did include a value estimate of $100+.

The only listed color is Amber. From the style on manufacture I would estimate the date of manufacture as 1880 – 1890. I am assuming that there is no base embossing as there is none listed in any information I have seen. I know of any known advertising information to give us a clue as to the location of the company so I would look to where they were found. You discovery location would be a good clue. Please document that and perhaps put a piece of paper in the bottle or tape it to a panel, but document the circumstances of its discovery.

smithman29

Reaction score
Hi Jim: WOW what a fantastic reply! Just an absolutely great, highly researched and detailed answer to my inquiry regarding this Celebrated Berlin Bitters bottle. Thank you for relatingjust about all the written information currently available regarding this bottle.
Curious that book value would list so low ($100+) on a bitters that is so rare. I suppose that its plain jane, amber Hostetter's-like appearance supersedes the rarity factor regarding its general collector desirability. I know I'd rather have a nice barrel, cabin, Indian Queen, etc. compared to an amber square bitters that looks like so many others. I suppose thats why it went for so little at auction. That same exact auction produced a top bid of $3500 (plus 10% buyers premium) five years ago for a Seven-Up green H.P. Herb Reading, PA. cabin bitters, so its not like there's no demand for good bottles there.
Anyway, thanks again for your efforts. Its great to have a forum of knowledgable enthusiasts to learn from. Brst regards to all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday