Celluloid

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Well, after doing some digging, I did a little bit of digging. For information, that is. Turns out the last privy was home to a (supposed) inventor of celluloid! That may explain the very strange nature of the privy's contents. Everything was covered in weird chemicals, and the privy was filled with it. Crazy inventor stuff I suppose. The house was built between 1867 and 1871. Seems for at least the 1870's, the house was owned by Dr. William Hugh Pierson. Found this online, in an 1878 publication:

"William Hugh Pierson (M.D.), born in Orange, where he practiced medicine for a while; was a surgeon of the U. S. navy, during the late war, lives at Bloomfield; married Annie Van Liew and has son John."

The Glen Ridge Historical Society did some research about the house, and published it online a couple years ago. Here's what they had to say.

"The New York Globe of August 4, 1902 reported the suicide by hanging of Anna Van Liew Pierson. Her son, John, found her dangling from a rope in the cupola. Earlier news accounts noted that the same John Pierson, a member of the Bloomfield Cyclers and the Glen Ridge Foot-Ball Eleven, ran for the position of County Clerk. Anna’s late husband, Dr. William Hugh Pierson, was a direct descendant of a founding family of Newark. In 1867 he was granted a patent for celluloid that was later rescinded because of an opposing claim. Under the wallpaper in one of the two parlors were strips of a plastic material that resembled tortoise shell."

The guy was a doctor. So this syringe makes sense:

45B3BE633F4F442F8F7E6C7B0BA12296.jpg

The celluloid things:

Belt buckles

CA4A4B5AD2F64DC39DA65AF9496A26EB.jpg

Curtain rods/teething rings/what have you

B94FAB9155354F5F907B65D2E91893AE.jpg

I didn't think these were celluloid, however online research has convinced me otherwise. Apparently the true creator of celluloid was John Wesley Hyatt.

0BFF380369FC4A818698CE6F8240F3F7.jpg

C8580A7EEC6A4C7BAC6BE5DA318B9A09.jpg

5A5BB9ADB81F472881E2FD6C47707E59.jpg

47FEE8E716F74A648E88F6C87F9E1E1E.jpg

"In 1870 Hyatt and his brother set up the Albany Dental Plate Company to manufacture dental plate blanks from the new material which they called Celluloid. In 1871 the Celluloid Manufacturing Company was established in Albany, transferring to Newark, New Jersey in 1872."

"For years hardened rubber had been used successfully as a denture blank material; however, when the Goodyear Dental Vulcanite Co. purchased the patent rights, they began to impose expensive fees upon the substance. In addition, the rising cost of rubber, due to the popularity of the bicycle craze and the demand for this commodity for tires, made Vulcanite an ever increasing expense for dentists who owned large practices. Thus the stage was set for the introduction of Celluloid dentures."

"Several pages of testimonials are found in an 1878 Celluloid Mfg. Co. Instruction Manual for dentists. The following are excerpts from the booklet:

'I have used celluloid as a base for artificial teeth for several years with great satisfaction. It is durable, and does not warp or change its form, provided the conditions are strictly complied with. My patients are delighted with it." I.J.Wetherbee, DDS, Boston, MA, Mar. 23, 1878'

'Celluloid is an excellent base for artificial teeth and has given excellent satisfaction to 200 of my patients who are wearing it. I use it for artificial palates and noses, and for the latter it is very much better than rubber." A.S.Dudley, MD, Salem, MA., Mar. 20, 1878'

'"Do you feel satisfied with celluloid?, I seem to hear you ask. I answer that I would not give $5.00 for a rubber license. I would not have rubber in my own mouth on account of the heated feeling. I have broken two rubber plates in the time I have worn one of celluloid. It is healthful, cleanly, strong, unchangeable and beautiful." B.B. Chandler, Boston, MA, Feb. 11, 1878'

etc. Anyway, this makes me think Pierson, the owner of the house, was a dentist. The research I've done doesn't indicate anything specific.

This is relevant to the "inventor", William Hugh Pierson.

"Patent battles ensued between Hyatt and those who imitated his inventions. Companies which started with inexperienced help frequently manufactured inferior products or due to the ignorance of the dangerous materials used in manufacture, burned to the ground. Even the Celluloid Manufacturing Company experienced several devastating fires, but they always recovered and went on to become the most important manufacturer of plastics in history."

Well these aren't celluloid. But I have a hunch that they are chemical related.

6749E489A8C54F07A3F46513477D607C.jpg

I don't know what these are, but someone said they are gutta percha.

81FF295A14914562A6FFD4028C63A1DB.jpg

So there you have it. If not for digging these weird items in the privy, I'd never have dug into the history of the house!

Credit goes to these sites for the general celluloid info.

B9E977A88195425484144D227F007410.jpg

Attachments

• B9E977A88195425484144D227F007410.jpg
    B9E977A88195425484144D227F007410.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 97

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Thanks Joe! I think I will put together some kind of display about this dig for the Historical Society. I didn't find anything really worthwile bottle-wise, so I may give them some stuff. Not only is it a nice thing to do, but saying I did it may get me some permissions!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Being quite the intractable pyromaniac, I have always enjoyed Celluloid items. Your presentation of the history was very interesting, hopefully you can ensure that the discoveries continue to educate.

Regarding the 3 little saucers, I have dug them from time-to-time and assumed that they were either paint-mixing plates ( I have found them with what appeared to be paint residue still remaining) or evaporating dishes, the latter assumption being relevant to the belief that the former resident was interested in chemistry.

Anyway, have you tried to ignite any of the redundant pieces you've dug to ensure that they are indeed celluloid? Celluloid is vigorously combustible as you likely know, burning quite like a newly-struck match. I've read accounts of women with celluloid clasps or combs in their hair getting severe burns when an errant spark alighted on their rather dangerous hair accessories. [:D] I save the old plastic items I dig solely for the purpose of fueling future pyrotechnic good-times, as they are generally too warped to be useful for other purposes.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

Being quite the intractable pyromaniac, I have always enjoyed Celluloid items. Your presentation of the history was very interesting, hopefully you can ensure that the discoveries continue to educate.

Regarding the 3 little saucers, I have dug them from time-to-time and assumed that they were either paint-mixing plates ( I have found them with what appeared to be paint residue still remaining) or evaporating dishes, the latter assumption being relevant to the belief that the former resident was interested in chemistry.

Anyway, have you tried to ignite any of the redundant pieces you've dug to ensure that they are indeed celluloid? Celluloid is vigorously combustible as you likely know, burning quite like a newly-struck match. I've read accounts of women with celluloid clasps or combs in their hair getting severe burns when an errant spark alighted on their rather dangerous hair accessories. [:D] I save the old plastic items I dig solely for the purpose of fueling future pyrotechnic good-times, as they are generally too warped to be useful for other purposes.

I find your postulation about the saucers quite interesting. The other thing that characterized this privy was an abundance of paint in every possible location! What I figure is that the "paint" I found was really pigment of some kind for dying celluloid. It seems celluloid was naturally clear, and you had to add dye to it to make it colorful. My stuff is that yellowish white color because celluloid turns lie that with age.

As for pyrotechnics: how would I go about safely experimenting with the things? There's a couple junky rings I could spare. Are there noxious fumes I should worry about? Sounds like fun anyway!

surfaceone

Reaction score
As for pyrotechnics: how would I go about safely experimenting with the things? There's a couple junky rings I could spare. Are there noxious fumes I should worry about? Sounds like fun anyway!

Attention pyronically inclined folks:

You may want to read THIS ARTICLE, from The Lancet, February 2, 1902, Burns From Celluloid, by Dr. Alexander Ogston, et al.

As a youngster, I had a friend who lived with his grandfather. Grandfather wore celluloid collars well into the 1960's, I had dinner with them one night and noticed that Grandfather's neck, uncollared and bandaged, was a nasty looking red swath. Upon questioning, it was due to a spontaneous ignition of his collar caused by a too close encounter with a cigar.

45779.jpg

beendiggin

Reaction score
Great story and dig...but I believe the three small dishes are from a child's tea set. I have dug them many times in various household dumps. They could be used for anything but I think that that's where they are from.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen