Champagne bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Semar

Reaction score
Anybody ever seen a red champagne bottle turn molded with an applied red glass seal with a crown embossed on it?
I had 2 but sold one many years ago. it is sparkling clean and deep red in color. I've had no luck IDing it and it's packed away with the rest of my bottle collection. I'll try to dig it out of my barrel o' bottles when I can get the time to do so. But for now; just askin'.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Anybody ever seen a red champagne bottle turn molded with an applied red glass seal with a crown embossed on it?
I had 2 but sold one many years ago. it is sparkling clean and deep red in color. I've had no luck IDing it and it's packed away with the rest of my bottle collection. I'll try to dig it out of my barrel o' bottles when I can get the time to do so. But for now; just askin'.
I'd be very curious to see that, I've never seen a champagne bottle in any colour close to red. Red is a very rare colour to find any antique bottle in, it was expensive to produce and mostly used for tableware or signal lights.

Semar

Reaction score
Here you go.
Taken by a friend who has better photography skills than I.
Must have been pretty special stuff to warrant a bottle like this.
I wonder if the seal has anything to do with Moet Chandon.

Attachments

• redchampagne1.jpg
    redchampagne1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 44
  • redchampagne.jpg
    redchampagne.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 39

hemihampton

Reaction score
pretty color, don't know anything about it though. Leon.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Here you go.
Taken by a friend who has better photography skills than I.
Must have been pretty special stuff to warrant a bottle like this.
I wonder if the seal has anything to do with Moet Chandon.
That's a great bottle! I don't know if it necessarily qualifies as the true red colour which is very expensive to produce, to me looks like the redder side of puce, which is slightly more common to see in antique bottles but still a very rare and desirable colour, and not one I've seen a champagne bottle in before. Does it have a pontil?

Semar

Reaction score
maybe someday they'll start coming out of the woodwork; who knows
That's a great bottle! I don't know if it necessarily qualifies as the true red colour which is very expensive to produce, to me looks like the redder side of puce, which is slightly more common to see in antique bottles but still a very rare and desirable colour, and not one I've seen a champagne bottle in before. Does it have a pontil?
No pontil just rhe usual pushed in base as you see in all champagne bottles. Last night I spent some time doing an image search, I found one on pinterest, no information though and there was an example on British ebay that was sold in the past, but I couldn't access their site to get any possible info. The contents must have been pretty expensive champagne to deserve that bottle as a container. My only other thought is that maybe it is from a private cellar of someone well off financially. I read that in the past people like that would return wine bottles to be refilled by the Vintner. I can't imagine someone using such a lovely champagne and throwing it away after one use; there's too much work put into making a bottle this nice.
The mystery continues I guess....

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler