Charles Ellis

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
That's what I meant by suspect bottles. the common ones not known to be in weird or different colors. Old guys kinda know what those more common bottle colors are, as they have been seeing them and digging them for years, and now in the last three years especially, they are coming in all these colors!! I think NOT! anyways all us bottle collectors here on this site do have a moral objective to help out one another, and RAT these nukers out whenever we can.

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
Well I'am the newbie & this might sounds like moron but seriously how can you tell if it's nuked or not? Please HHHHEEEEELLLPPPPP!!!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
You can start with this http://www.jeffreysevans.com/media/Irradiation%20101-web.pdf but a lot has been leaned since 2000.People are trying new things all the time. Aqua can turn citron, cobalt can turn green or even teal etc. It depends on the glass batch and the length of exposure. Clear with manganese turns purple while clear with selenium can turn a smoky brown. Other additive in the mix can have a different results. The amount can make them lighter or darker.Like others have stated, if an odd color comes up for a common bottle it's just likely something has been done to it.That's another starting point, learning what's common and in what color. Be very weary of this one and others like the Wistar, Dr Kilmer and this list continues to grow.I wouldn't be shocked if newer books are listing these as correct now and that's even more disturbing.You can't be 100% sure unless you pull it from the ground or from inside a wall or something yourself despite Andy's "WITHOUT a DOUBT" (no offense, I agree it's altered) comment.I may change my mind when the FB get's to 667.[:D]

epgorge

Reaction score
Road Dog said:
I'm on the hunt for this bottle here. Do ya'll think it's color looks altered? It looks legit to me , but I'd like some other folks opinion. Thanks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CITRON-CHARLES-ELLIS-SON-CO-PHILADA-RARE-COLOR-/121285553596?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3d2eadbc
I just wrote the guy and asked him if he nuked them or some of them. I will post his/her reply when/if I get an answer. I believe the best way to deal with this is to ask and see if they are doing intentionally or perhaps, they are buying them thinking they are legit. Integrity is everything.Joel

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I fear we are all in the same boat that you are. It was easy when it was just TOC clear stuff, and it was coming out funky purple or nasty off color brown. But now they are nuking older stuff, and doing it in ways such that the colors are coming out much closer to what could really have been produced. IF you know that particular mold and know what colors it's been found in before, any new color is a red flag. ANY item sold by these known sellers of nuked stuff is immediately suspect. But what happens when the legitimate buyer re-sells this later as a legitimate color? I think you are doing the right thing for now, and posting the bottle on here and asking questions. Jim G
Sir.Bottles said:
Well I'am the newbie & this might sounds like moron but seriously how can you tell if it's nuked or not? Please HHHHEEEEELLLPPPPP!!!

Road Dog

Reaction score
I looked at alot of the sellers previous sales and there is alot of "Interesting" colors. Saw that Wistars too. That was an obvious one.

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
You can start with this http://www.jeffreysevans.com/media/Irradiation%20101-web.pdf but a lot has been leaned since 2000.People are trying new things all the time. Aqua can turn citron, cobalt can turn green or even teal etc. It depends on the glass batch and the length of exposure. Clear with manganese turns purple while clear with selenium can turn a smoky brown. Other additive in the mix can have a different results. The amount can make them lighter or darker.Like others have stated, if an odd color comes up for a common bottle it's just likely something has been done to it.That's another starting point, learning what's common and in what color. Be very weary of this one and others like the Wistar, Dr Kilmer and this list continues to grow.I wouldn't be shocked if newer books are listing these as correct now and that's even more disturbing.You can't be 100% sure unless you pull it from the ground or from inside a wall or something yourself despite Andy's "WITHOUT a DOUBT" (no offense, I agree it's altered) comment.I may change my mind when the FB get's to 667.[:D]
Mmmmmmm I see. Many thanx Eric.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

Attachments

• ad0d7d3362f24e118748a9b6b1079e95.jpg
    ad0d7d3362f24e118748a9b6b1079e95.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 80

epgorge

Reaction score
I wrote and asked him twice and did not get an answer over a three day period. I suppose he could be on vacation but I would assume he isn't answering the question because he doesn't want to take away bidders, of which I am not one. I have found those who don't know it is nuked will at least answer and show some concern. I told him this bottle was generating threads on bottle forums. These scrupulous people still seem to get bidders who drive up the price. I won't peruse his wares and I certainly will never bid on his bottles. I suppose that is the least we can do.Ep

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583