Charles H Richardson and a great bottle dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jerrypev

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I decided to quit bottle collecting, sold most of my bottles and thought that was the end of it. One of the buyers was a local collector who didn't dig. I volunteered to take him out digging and on our first trip we found the dream bottle dump. What was amazing is the dump was just off the road, near Route 1 by an apartment complex. 1860s, 70s and 80s bottles were literally sticking out of the ground. How that dump got missed all these years is absolutely amazing.
Pictured is our first days finds and two C.H. Richardson green bottles.
C.H. Richardson was the son of notable Trenton, NJ bottler Nathan Richardson. When Nathan died Feb 8, 1876 his son Charles H moved the bottling business from the old State Bank building to Chancery Street Trenton and began business as "The Star Bottling House" Not the businessman his father was the company lasted less than two years. Consequently the bottles embossed "CH Richardson" are really scarce. We subsequently found a lot of early bottles at the dump site but the CH Richardson may have been the hardest to find.

4EA40B97F0444679BC74587A1B269EDF.jpg

Attachments

• 4EA40B97F0444679BC74587A1B269EDF.jpg
    4EA40B97F0444679BC74587A1B269EDF.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 60

creeper71

Reaction score
wow that is the kinda dump I dream of finding... how big of a dump is it???

jerrypev

Reaction score
This picture shows the best part of the dumping area just off the road and some broken squats. Bottles were in a layer no more than about 6 or 8 inches deep, some bottles literally right under the leaves. A Wm Morton squat from Trenton was sticking up through the roots of a tree.
There was another dump a few hundred feet further back in the woods which proved very fruitful. Down the road about a quarter mile on a curve was a pile of broken green sodas someone had tossed beside the road long ago, mostly Robert Elliott and GA Kohl bottles.

E1F4AAD5D9AD4015ACE9DC165F05DD3D.jpg

Attachments

• E1F4AAD5D9AD4015ACE9DC165F05DD3D.jpg
    E1F4AAD5D9AD4015ACE9DC165F05DD3D.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 53

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Wow! That really is my dream dump. Any Essex county blobs come out of there? I'm sure you know of Horton & Richardson from Newark. The quart blobs, Baltimore loop blobs, etc. are dirt common around here. I'm sure there's a relationship there. I think they were a mid-late 1890's bottler, maybe more time in either direction.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Great to find those sites...you never know when you're going to hit an untouched dump. I'm in one now (toc) , and I hit one last year and I hit a great 1880's site a few years back. It's great knowing you will definetly pull some goodies out of those spots. Excellent finds!

KBbottles

Reaction score
Jerry... U have any NJ pontil sodas left or new brunswick pieces you would consider selling? I also collect south brunswick stuff. Got two extremely rare milks from Rhode Hall which may be the only ones, several kingston blobs. Monmouth junction milks. A rhode hall blob, milks from dayton and deans etc... awesome pics! I know rt 1.well. Wish i found that!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers