Chatelaine Perfume Bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

denmar

Reaction score
Yet another item of interest for you all.

This perfume bottle was a gift given to me some years ago. I always thought it was made of metal but today put a magnet on it and it did not respond, on closer investigation it appears to be glass, very thick though, it is very ornate, green in colour and etched with gold and black flowers. The top pulls out (and when it does the small chains at the bottom also go up through tiny holes) to put perfume in, then it closes by pulling the chains at the bottom. The top and chains are gold coloured but so small can't possibly tell what the metal is. Has anybody got any ideas about this. There are no seams on it, I think it might be what is known as a chatelaine perfume bottle, but absolutely have no idea about it's date or origin.

This is a lovely friendly site, obviously full of enthusiasts, so thought I would try this one on you all.

Thanks for all the help you have given me so far, will this one be a real test or not?

F3A46B09AFA74CB0B5E3ED03E4162905.jpg

Attachments

• F3A46B09AFA74CB0B5E3ED03E4162905.jpg
    F3A46B09AFA74CB0B5E3ED03E4162905.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 65

grugirl

Reaction score
Although I know nothing of this item, I am entirely intrigued by its design and shape. I cannot wait to hear what this could be. I am off to do some research.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
A magnet general tells you it's iron or has an iron in it. Most metal isn't magnetic. Brass, copper, silver, gold, nickle etc. are all non-magnetic.
It looks like it's enameled to me. Just about anything can be enameled.
The chain is interesting being that it would hang upside down. I'd think that it was meant for a non liquid, maybe snuff or smelling salt?
I need to see it to say much more.
It looks real nice though.

denmar

Reaction score
Hi Again,

It actually doesn't hang from the chain, the top has a ring on it, which I think must have had a chain going through it, if you take the top of it the chains at the bottom shorten, the top does not come right off but is on the chain, inside is some sort of wadding, the top is pierced all around and so I think the purpose was to put perfume in it but so that a nice smell comes out constantly, bit like a pomander. It is for perfume because there is still a slight smell of it. How can I tell for sure if it is glass or metal, without the danger of breaking it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday