Clean dig sites

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I just returned from spending three hours with shovels, rake and wheelbarrow. Not digging, but cleaning up the damned messes left by others. Partially filled TOC pits with dirt, broken glass and ceramics tossed all around the digs. I policed up all the shards, refilled the pits, and tamped them with my PU. Let's all keep it clean, can't we? I don't care if you dig 'till midnight. At least do a proper job of refilling your holes. These are "out West" diggers and you know who you are.

BittersMax

Reaction score
It's those dig-n-dash self centered bone heads that totally ruin it for the ones who do good work. I've spent hours myself filling/fixing craters created by un-responsible half ass Northern California diggers. In todays world we should be doing all we can to do a good job to avoid any possible bad press. Loosely filled holes will sink on average three inches per foot after being rained on good. So a twelve foot hole could drop three feet ! At least mound it up when your finished and better yet go back after it rains and check on it if possible. Baby siting and over-seeing amateurs should not be part of the job description for responsible diggers.

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Hey Mike,
I've heard about the site you're digging but haven't been up North for the past 3 weeks....been stuck in L.A.......I've heard that there have been as many as 20 holes dug up there or more....must be a big block! Wish I could be there to check it out.....Anyways that's cool and sounds like frustrating to have to clean up other messes.
Let us know if you find any other killer pieces.....that sample snowflake whiskey looks great!

Doug

P.S .....Hi Lou! I didn't know you were using this site....if you get a chance, show us some of your finds

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
The worst part of it is their complete lack of consideration for the "old timers" who do their part and refill and compact the pits they dig. I don't bother with these late pits, but if someone wants to dig 'em, that's fine. All we want is for all the shards, rusted metal, and other crap to be returned to the pit and the hole at least foot tamped as it is filled. A small effort goes a long way in keeping a digging area free of hazards. If the owners see this mess it means a certain shut down for the site, which, by the way, hasn't produced a single "heavy hitter". This is strange, because it's one of the earliest residential areas in town. I have noticed an unusually high number of dipped pits, though, something that could explain the lousy results of our efforts. I won't be returning any time soon. I have had enough pounder action, digging bar and pick slamming to get through two feet of compacted gravel, and simply plain old hard work to probe and dig a pit. It's back yard time again for me.

tigue710

Reaction score
dont you hate that? Getting home with your elbows about torn out of the sockets from smashing through compact all day, with no bottles! lol

if you want to keep digging better fill in yer holes who ever it is...

caldigs

Reaction score
I'd be PISSSSED if I got the boot on a lot in our area due to some jack-asses leaving a mess like that !!!!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide