Clear HG Ball Perfect Mason

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grimesco

Reaction score
Hi!
I am very new to jar collecting. I guess I got bitten by "the bug" when my husband and I found a bunch of old jars in a barn that our neighbor was tearing down. I have been reading everything I can on the internet, but the best information seems to come from haunting your forum. I am just trying to soak up a fraction of your vast knowledge and expertise.
I have been reading some old threads here (and elsewhere) about clear Ball Perfect Mason jars.
I have been going to auctions buying box lots of jars, and I came across a clear Ball Perfect Mason Half Gallon Jar. It is a rounded shape with no ribs. The script has the dropped "a" and the perfect is clearly offset to the left of "ball" (not to the right like many of the aqua offset jars I've seen). There is no underscore, but it looks as if one was supposed to be there. The embossing is smooth, and not nearly as pretty and sharp as some that I've seen. The glass has kind of a wavy look to it.
I apologize in advance for being a very ignorant rookie with a (probably) stupid question about a common jar.
I will try to post pictures if anyone thinks this might be a jar worth looking at.
Thank you again for your time!!!

deenodean

Reaction score
Welcome to A-BN, there are many pro's on this site who know their stuff...I also have a jar collection...some jars ( most of mine ) are worth pennies , some are worth $20,000.00 or more ( not any of mine ) ..well a picture is worth a 1000 words, if you can post some pics someone will assess them...

digginthedog

Reaction score
I'm not a Ball jar expert , but sounds like Redbook of Fruit jars #285-1, look at it close , is there an erased word (DREY) beneath the word BALL ?, This jar is described as having PERFECT offset left, and a partially ghosted underline, this particular jar only came in the clear 1/2 gallon size, Hope that helps ! JB

grimesco

Reaction score

grimesco

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies!!
This is the only way I could figure out how to post links to pictures. My files wouldn't fit.
No, there is no "Drey" apparent anywhere.
I really have to get a Red Book!
Again, thank you for your patience with a newbie...

carobran

Reaction score
You pretty much have to have a Red Book if you're going to collect jars.You can get them off their website for around $40 I think.

grimesco

Reaction score
I am going to try to order a Red Book this evening. I was still trying to research the resources that I needed (my antique dealer friend recommended a different resource). I do have the little green "1000 Fruit Jars" book, but it doesn't seem to address the myriad of variations.
Is this jar pretty common? Thank you!

deenodean

Reaction score
go to redbookjars.com .....over 10,000 entries of American , Canadian and Austrailian jars and variations of each...excellant book..

epackage

Reaction score
Here's the link to your pic's, I'm too lazy to post the actual pic's...Jim[;)]

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=3A2210BFF92CAA9B&id=3A2210BFF92CAA9B%21111#cid=3A2210BFF92CAA9B&id=3A2210BFF92CAA9B%21108

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen