Cleo Cola

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Reaspectfully, morb, I have to disagree about the dot after the date holding any relevance.
How then, do you explain dots found after the dating number post 1945? One can't, as there is, by your thinkng, no longer use for the dot as a dating device when there are double dated bottles. I have found quite a few with the redundant dot...

I've only noted or logged about a thousand bottles, so I can't say with 100% accuracy, but I'm beginning to believe that the dot, no matter where it's located is a quality control icon. Dots placed on the baseline, dots placed on the midline, dashes, underscores and 'pimples' are also all found on either the date number AND/OR the mold detail number. None have to do with the date. But those things mean something...at least to O/I production people.

I know you have the Fleener, is it, that is code dated 2? And you know historically that is must be a 1942, right? And the bottle indicates that with the '2' in the date position. The dot? Who knows? I understand that Fleener is exceedingly rare and doesn't that mean you have only seen the one example? If so, how can you make a generalization based on one example of the bottle?
I believe the Rogers Cleo Cola to be rare enough. Probably only one batch run by O/I. Yet, I show examples of non-dot and dotted variants. Why? Can you explain...without referencing Lockhart?

I've also found several other 'dot pairs'...one with, one without. If the dot is a dating devind in one position, but not the other, i'd like to hear your evidence. Please.
This bottle is from Louisville, KY and bottled by Epping.
The bottle was made in Fairmount and you can see that it's crystal and not green.
Oh boy, here come the variant data. This bottle dates from 1938 as is easily seen by the '8' behind the logo.
And, let's examine the logo here, for we do not see the boxy 'O' part of the logo but a more rounded and ovate looking shape...more like a capital O. A key point here in overall dating is to check the shape of the logo, as in these examples: Boxy looking logo from 1937, a more round looking logo after 1937. Additionally there is a dot present, and again on the mold number. Not a dating device here, either. But what? In Lockhart's monograph on dating O/I bottles he mentions that he was told the dots were a quality control device...but he discounted that information in pursuit of his theorum.
I have had a retired line worker relate directly to me that the dots were used as a quality control number. Period.
At this time, however, I only know what the preponderance of my evidence shows and that is the dot is not a dating icon. It's is still 'up in the air' whether I believe the dot is a QC (quality control) item or not, in spite of first hand knowledge related to me. I still haven't logged enough bottles.
Another difference we have is that the familiar G 76 has been replaced with a G 113. This G number is also not on the base but on the bottom edge of the side panel. Knee jerk curiosity might tell me that the '113' is clear while '76' is green. But, that's too easy...and possibly not true. The bottle are identical 12 oz in every way but color. More data needed. If you have Cleo's you can help. Send me the information. Some of the earliest O/I sodas have these same G numbers on them, either on the base or on the heel. Quite often the G's are the only link establishing the manufacturer as O/I.

Onward.

62AA3DBDF83245699303A9A60319AD60.jpg
i feel like this may help. I found it the other day. I ran across your research while trying to identify the bottle’s Origen.

Attachments

• B537C55A-198C-4261-BE2D-2A012EB5C25B.jpeg
    B537C55A-198C-4261-BE2D-2A012EB5C25B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter