CLR on bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Poeticallyinsane

Reaction score
I bought some CLR because my bottles have a lot of rust stains and other crap that wont come off. Before I put any of it on my bottles I would like to know if it is safe? I didnt see anything about using it on glass. One other similar type of cleaner said not to use rust remover on glass. What should I do?

digdug

Reaction score
I have used CLR before on bottles with OK results. I would not use it on an ACL/Painted label bottle though. I wasn't overly impressed with the CLR results. It helped some. One thing I have used to remove rust has been Bar Keepers Friend. Similar to Comet, but made for glass, tile, etc. With that and a little elbow grease rust stains came right off. Using CLR, be sure and follow the directions and follow the direction on the bottle about gloves! I tried it without them once, lost a few layers of skin.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
CLR wont hurt glass but its not going to fix "sick" oxidized glass. You have to tumble them to polish that out. it should help with the rust.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I've used it to remove rust from glass. It works best if you let it soak for a while. I've actually found that I prefer Limeaway, as they have a really thick liquid, but they probably work about the same. Much more fun to use on metal, though. All those bubbles! It's like peroxide on a skinned knee!

madman

Reaction score
hey clr sucks, dont waste yer money, get some barkeepers friend and a elcheapo wire brush, there like 12 inches long and blue, soak them in it and dish soap thats what i use mike

GACDIG

Reaction score
I'm like madman, CLR sucks. We dug some sick old glass last year and we got some muratic acid and soaked them for a day and all the dark came off. Just be careful and use goves outside.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi krystal, i tried the clr, and didn't have much luck with it, i have a lot better results with bar keepers friend. i get it at wallmart and it's a lot cheeper then clr. good luck, rhona

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson