cobalt blue flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ILUV2DIG

Reaction score
I have refrained from posting a comment, however, I need to agree with Tique on this one. Put it on Glassworks auction Mike; then you will know.

It is a nice looking flask, but I have my doubts regarding its authenticity.

Best regards,

MJC

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

F8A24A0FB0DC4B80B298F07DD2EA2282.jpg

This top does not look like it is from a flask dating to the 1830s-40s.I'm no expert but this thing does not look old to me. thats all folks

Send a pic to Heckler or Jim H they with set you straight.

tigue710

Reaction score
my first impression was good believing the story of the find, and the flask has some good aspects to it. After repeated requests for offers, the mold lines being pointed out and no better pictures coming to surface I've become a skeptic. Now that I look at the flask more it does not have the attributes of an older piece. It is dead on for a Clevenger bottle though

Ohiosulator

Reaction score
my opinion is It is not a real chestnut swirl flask, but its not a new reproduction either. The top and a few other things draw me to this conclusion, and the fact I have a few real ohio, PA chestnuts and early swirl flasks to compare to the pictures. Its too thick.

Bixel

Reaction score
When I started collecting bottles, I always heard collectors talking about how you could tell age just by the LOOK of glass. After being in the hobby for close to 10 years, I have also picked up on that. It just doesn't look right to my eyes. Maybe I would be swayed of my opinion with better pictures, or by seeing it in person, but there is just something about it that puts up a red flag in my mind.

tigue710

Reaction score
Some of the older reproductions are old enough now to be found legitimately in walls, dumps and even privy's... A buddy of mine dug a privy that had 1920-30's stuff in the top and 1850's stuff in the bottom. He found a Clevenger flask in the top of the privy, how it got there nobody knows... the older layer in the bottom was intact and a lot of nice stuff came out of it, so it wasn't planted by a previous digger... that one still boggles my mind to this day...

The only reason I say to steer away is because there's just not enough information on this thing to try to buy it... At first glance it looks as if it could be authentic early Americana but it just doesn't have the right stuff after you focus... If you do believe this is real Mike I would get a second opinion or two...

JustGlass

Reaction score
I've seen a hundred or more of these style flasks that are reproductions in every color but have never seen a real one. I would love to see a original if someone owns one. Im guessing that they would have been made with a thin and lighter glass that is less heavy and clunky.

Big Mike

Reaction score
Bottle sold today for $400.00 to the buyer for the museum Thanks to all that commented and the help I will definitely post some digging pictures from here in ky or get the fella that posted these Once you get to know me you will see im ok Dollar Bill has dug with me He can tell you about me Any way thanks again Big Mike

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Big Mike

Bottle sold today for $400.00 to the buyer for the museum Thanks to all that commented and the help I will definitely post some digging pictures from here in ky or get the fella that posted these Once you get to know me you will see im ok Dollar Bill has dug with me He can tell you about me Any way thanks again Big Mike

I would like to see a picture of it in the museum,that would be cool

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26