Cobalt Squat Soda Union Glass Wks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Bottleman ,
I apparently was mistaken on the value of your bottle !
I have an example ( your variant ) selling at public auction for $ 203.00 in 1997.
And the scarcer variant with the WILLMINGTON DEL. embossed on it at the range of 1000.00 + as Bottlesandmore estimates as being the value of your bottle.
Apparently your variant has appreciated GREATLY in the last few years. Bottle prices change daily here lately !!!! Supply and demand thing again !
Great find anyway and once again a GOOD ONE ! Brian

Bottleman

Reaction score
I wanted to thank you all again for the information you gave me. I pretty much knew the value of this bottle but I had no idea where it was from. Back in 1999 when I got it, I remember seeing one sell for a little over $2000 on ebay. That one was in near mint condition also. I few months later, there was one on there that was damaged and brought around $200. I haven’t seen one sold on ebay since then.

Thanks, Bottleman12

Bottleman

Reaction score
This bottle was my first post on this site and at the time I had no idea where it was from. A lot of people told me it was Wilmington, DE but I was reading the wanted ad’s in my AB&G collector magazine and a man was looking for pontiled sodas from Chester County PA. He had my J. Dowdall in the ad and stated it was from Avondale, PA. I have done some research and came up empty. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks, Tom

Ge94050.jpg

soda bottle

Reaction score
I know this is an old post , but only trying to shed some light on this subject.

J. Dowdall was a bottler in Avondale Pa. and also Wilmington, Del.

His business started in Avondale, Pa. and then expanded to Wilmington , De.

There are three different varients of Dowdall bottles from Delaware.

1) J. DOWDALL (in plate) // Union Glass Works Philad. (a) / Superior (a) / Mineral Water (ra) (this is the one from original post)

2) J. DOWDALL / WILMINGTON / DEL. // Union Glass Works Philad. (a) / Superior (a) / Mineral Water (ra)

3) J. DOWDALL (a) / WILMINGTON / DEL. // Union Glass Works Philad. (a) /Superior (a) / Mineral Water (ra)

There is also a few varients from Avondale, I know one of them reads EXCELSIOR and I think it is sided but cannot recall for sure.

Sure would be nice to have a collection of all the DOWDALL bottles

Bottleman

Reaction score
Hey soda bottle. Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. This was actually my first post on the forum back in 2004. I have come to the conclusion that the bottle I have is from Avondale, PA. I've seen a few over the years up for sale. I even saw a nice deep green one. On Todd's website, sodasandbeers.com he has 7 different examples listed with pictures.

soda bottle

Reaction score
I'm thinking the DOWDALL (the one you have) bottle is probably the later version and did not say Avondale or Wilmington for the reason of it could be used at either of his bottling houses once returned? Just a thought...Do you still have it? I have one of his bottles and I saw one at the Baltimore show that I was thinking about, but the price was a little steep.
1006026s.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us/image]

Bottleman

Reaction score
Very nice bottle and thanks for sharing the pic! Yes, I still have the bottle. It's my most prized bottle in my whole collection. I think you are right about mine being the later version. According to Todd's site, your bottle is around 1848-1849 and mine is 1850-1852.

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Nice bottles guys, congrats on the $5 dollar find. One of my most prized bottles was also a killer buy, I found it for $30 bucks at the flea market. I was at Baltimore this Sunday and saw one with a $750 dollar price tag although I felt that was a little high.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squirrelman