COCA COLA / 1915 PROTOTYPE / EARL R DEAN / RAY A GRAHAM

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

This link provided by epackage/Jim earlier explains the Graham Glass production of the contour bottle along with the codes and dates ... with 1916 being the earliest.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/coca-cola.pdf

zecritr

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Side Note:

I'm not sure when the Graham Glass Company started producing the 1915 patent contour bottle, but I bet it bugged them to no end to have to produce a bottle that was designed by a Root Glass employee. I can just hear the gossip around the Graham Glass water cooler ...

"It should have been our bottle that won the contest. That Root bottle looks like a piece of ... "

Bob

Well if that was going on,that maybe might mean the other was produced just for some spite lol (hopefully)

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Wow! This is quite a study of bottle design development. These projects could mean a lot if one is into the details.
We all need to and do appreciate these efforts. Thank you. RED Matthews

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments an participation.

On post #25 I listed six (6) glass makers who might have been at the 1916 convention and possibly had entries in the bottle contest. I'm adding two more manufacturers to the list, which are ...

1. American Glass Works ~ Richmond, Virginia
2. Lynchburg Glass Works ~ Lynchburg, Virginia

I came across this 1916 convention name tag that I thought was pretty cool. As far as I know it is an example of the tags worn by all of the attendees ...

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9686167

4C23FA899A9F47AF97CFA5081F3567C5.jpg

Attachments

• 4C23FA899A9F47AF97CFA5081F3567C5.jpg
    4C23FA899A9F47AF97CFA5081F3567C5.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 100

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I was curious who the name Cowley was on the 1916 convention pin and found the following ...

(But why some of the text is in Spanish/Italian, I'm not sure).

http://search.ancestry.it/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=mediaphotopublic&rank=1&sbo=t&gsbco=Italia&gsln=Cola&gss=angs-d&gl=&gst=&hc=20&fh=260&fsk=BEFmZmYIgAAERQDOLXw-61-&pgoff=11

O.P. Butler and Mr.Cowley at Coca Cola bottling plant.

Guntersville, Alabama 1911

"OP"Oscar Peter Butler (1883-1943)

The picture below is from the above link as is the text. I'm not exactly sure who either of these gentlemen were but obviously connected with the Guntersville, Alabama Coca Cola Bottling Company in some manner, possibly managers.

I researched both names and could not find anything regarding Oscar Butler, but I did find a David M Cowley from a 1910 U.S. census that stated he lived in Guntersville, Alabama at the time and was 31 years old in 1910.

64C807876DC846EEB5C099FD0BBFBA31.jpg

Attachments

• 64C807876DC846EEB5C099FD0BBFBA31.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 92

celerycola

Reaction score
You searched the Italian website for ancestry.com. Here's the link to the US site in English:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=mediaphotopublic&rank=1&sbo=t&gsbco=Italia&gsln=Cola&gss=angs-d&gl=&gst=&hc=20&fh=260&fsk=BEFmZmYIgAAERQDOLXw-61-&pgoff=11

According to the Alabama Coca-Cola Bottlers book O. P. Butler was manager of the Coca-Cola plant at Guntersville.
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

I was curious who the name Cowley was on the 1916 convention pin and found the following ...

(But why some of the text is in Spanish/Italian, I'm not sure).

http://search.ancestry.it/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=mediaphotopublic&rank=1&sbo=t&gsbco=Italia&gsln=Cola&gss=angs-d&gl=&gst=&hc=20&fh=260&fsk=BEFmZmYIgAAERQDOLXw-61-&pgoff=11

O.P. Butler and Mr.Cowley at Coca Cola bottling plant.

Guntersville, Alabama 1911

"OP"Oscar Peter Butler (1883-1943)

The picture below is from the above link as is the text. I'm not exactly sure who either of these gentlemen were but obviously connected with the Guntersville, Alabama Coca Cola Bottling Company in some manner, possibly managers.

I researched both names and could not find anything regarding Oscar Butler, but I did find a David M Cowley from a 1910 U.S. census that stated he lived in Guntersville, Alabama at the time and was 31 years old in 1910.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
celery ~

Thanks for the website correction and for confirming that O. P. Butler was the manager of the Guntersville Coca Cola bottling plant. I thought it was odd that the picture referred to the other man simply as Mr. Cowley as if everyone would automatically know who he was. If Butler was the manager, I wonder if Cowley was the owner of the bottling plant?

Just for the record, I found the following and am pretty sure it pertains to the Mr. Cowley in question ...

http://sallenbach.net/getperson.php?personID=I562&tree=dee

David Morgan Cowley Jr.
Born: October 9, 1878
Died: July 27, 1919

Which means he would have been 37 years old during the January 1916 Coca Cola convention held in Atlanta, Georgia. Notice he had several children born in Guntersville, Alabama.

Even though I got side-tracked with Mr. Cowley, my main focus is still on the hope of determining which glass manufactures had bottle entries in the Coca Cola contest held at the 1916 convention. As it stands now we know that Root Glass and Graham Glass had entries, but still searching for the other nine or so that are currently eluding me.

Thanks again.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
However ...

Even though we currently don't know who the other nine entries were, we do know who the seven judges were who voted at the 1916 convention and selected the Dean/Root bottle as the winner. Perhaps by researching the names something might be found to clue us in regarding the other nine glass manufacturers. The following is from the Norman L Dean book ...

"Based on research done by former Coke archivist Wilbur Kurtz Jr. in 1957, Kurtz concluded that the committee of seven - all Coca Cola bottlers - were:"

1. Charles Rainwater ~ Advisory Board Chairman ~ Atlanta, Georgia
2. Arthur Montgomery ~ Atlanta, Georgia
3. Crawford Johnson Sr. ~ Birmingham, Alabama
4. J.K. Crosswell ~ Sumter, South Carolina
5. W. A. Bellinggrath ~ Montgomery, Alabama
6. Columous Roberts ~ Columbus, Georgia
7. John Kinner ~ Nashville, Tennessee

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

One of the seven judges/committee members did not vote and eliminated himself because prior to the voting he saw the Dean bottle sticking out of someone's coat pocket. Who can tell us which member did not vote and who's pocket the Dean bottle was in?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal