COCA COLA / 1915 PROTOTYPE / EARL R DEAN / RAY A GRAHAM

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

Another way of determining who the other nine entries were might be found by knowing who the head honchos were with various glass manufacturers, such as the ...

1. Owners
2. Presidents
3. Vice Presidents
4. Secretaries
5. Etc.

... and see if any (1915-1916-1917) bottle pattents were filed under their names?

celerycola

Reaction score
Some of the Design Patents from the period I've studied were filed by Patent Attorneys.
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

P.S. ~ P.S.

Another way of determining who the other nine entries were might be found by knowing who the head honchos were with various glass manufacturers, such as the ...

1. Owners
2. Presidents
3. Vice Presidents
4. Secretaries
5. Etc.

... and see if any (1915-1916-1917) bottle pattents were filed under their names?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Andrewt ~

You're welcome and thank you, too. Mucho appreciated.

celery ~

Ditto. That info will help a lot ... providing I can find some names of who-was-who in 1916, which is turning out not to be so easily done, but I'm still looking.

This should help as well and hopefully lead to more names and more bottle entries / patents ...

http://www.glassbottlemarks.com/glass-manufacturers-marks-on-coke-bottles/

The list below is certainly not complete, and I hope to eventually add more information as time allows. This includes makers of Coke bottles covering a wide time period, including the earlier “straight-sides†and the later “hobbleskirt†classic shaped bottle.

A.B.CO. … American Bottle Company, Chicago, Illinois.

A.G.W… American Glass Works.

Anchor logo entertwined with a capital “Hâ€... Anchor Hocking Corporation, Lancaster, Ohio.

C inside a circle… Chattanooga Glass Company, Chattanooga, Tennessee. Chattanooga was a HEAVY producer of Coca-Cola bottles.

Diamond & O (oval) entertwined with an I in center, looks something like an eye or the planet Saturn… Owens-Illinois Glass Company, head office Toledo, OH. (See a number of pics showing this frequently encountered mark at that page). This firm probably made more Coke bottles than any other glass manufacturer, at least during the 1940s and 1950s. Chattanooga would possibly be second place in total production.

D.O.C… D.O.Cunningham, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Duraglas… Owens-Illinois Glass Company.

EG (along heel, with numbers)… Graham Glass Company, Evansville, Indiana.

F within a hexagon… Fairmount Glass Company, Fairmount & Indianapolis, Indiana.

FV (connected, as shown)… Fábrica de Envases de Vidrio S.A. De C.V, Mexicali, Mexico. This is seen on some of the “Mexican Coke†bottles imported into the United States. Although this company began in 1987, I’m not sure if the mark has been in actual use that entire time. I have a Coke bottle with the mark which is date coded for the year 2006.

G23 (or similar letter/number, lightly embossed along the lower heel)……….. Graham Glass Company, Evansville, Indiana. (Not to be confused with the “G-number†[bottle style/design codes] seen on the base of many Owens-Illinois soda bottles).

GRAHAM… Graham Glass Company, Evansville, Indiana.

H entertwined with (superimposed over) an “Anchor†emblem… Anchor-Hocking Corporation, Lancaster, Ohio.

I inside an O (circle or oval)… Owens-Illinois Glass Company.

I.S.G.CO… Inter-State Glass Company, Kansas City, Missouri.

Lbg … Lynchburg Glass Works, Lynchburg, Virginia.

L G W … Laurens Glass Works, Laurens, South Carolina.

R within a triangle… Reed Glass Company, Rochester, New York.

ROOT… Root Glass Company, Terre Haute, Indiana. Root was the first company to produce the classic “hobbleskirt design†glass Coca-Cola bottle.

S within a star… Southern Glass Company, Los Angeles, California.

V, actually a highly stylized ‘V’ logo, which typically looks like a group of 3 small triangularly-shaped raised “spotsâ€
or “bumps“… Vitro Corporation, Monterrey, Mexico. This mark is seen on huge numbers of recent bottles imported into the United States, including soda bottles as well as many other types of glass containers.

celerycola

Reaction score
Obear-Nestor was making straightside Coke bottles at the time. I read in a pre 1910 magazine that there were four hundred glass plants making bottles in the US. By 1915 that number had probably increased.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
So many questions ~ So few answers ...

Because we know Chattanooga Glass Company of Tennessee was a huge producer of Coca Cola bottles, I have to believe they were one of the contenders who had an entry at the 1916 convention. I also have to believe that Chattanooga Glass designed/patented numerous bottles over the years. And yet, even with this said, I can only find one bottle related to them, which is the one pictured below and invented/designed by a James F. Harrison that was filed on May 18, 1927 and patented on August 23, 1927.

Question: If in fact the bottle pictured below was an entry at the 1916 Coca Cola convention, is it possible that Chattanooga Glass would wait a full ten years before patenting it?

Answer: I don't know but it doesn't seem likely, although I suppose its possible.

(If anyone knows of or finds another bottle designed/patented in relation to Chattanooga Glass, please share it with us).

Thanks

Bob

Patent Text Link: Note it refers to James F. Harrison as the "Assignor"

http://www.google.com/patents/USD73288?pg=PA2&dq=James+F+Harrison&hl=en&sa=X&ei=agBwUYP5Esn0rAHGmIGwCA&ved=0CDUQ6wEwAA#v=onepage&q=James%20F%20Harrison&f=false

Does this look like a bottle that could be "recognized in the dark?"

F32CE870AC584C4C87AC3DFBFB630DFE.gif

Attachments

• F32CE870AC584C4C87AC3DFBFB630DFE.gif
    38.7 KB · Views: 94

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For additional research ...

THE DESIGNERS

Bottle design became a competition between glasshouses. The bottle designers of the times had highly successful careers some of which spanned decades. Their names and faces are unfamiliar but their work survives them. Among the more prominent of the 1920s were:

Paul A. Ginter and Gayle D. Stewart and who were working for the American Bottle Company (1905-1929) which eventually became Owens Bottle Company and eventually Owens-Illinois..

Robert C. Graham and Frank R. Miller of the Graham Glass Company of Evansville, Indiana. Robert's Father had started the glass company and it operated from 1913-1930. After 1916 it was a subsidiary of the Owens Bottle Company, Toledo;

Fredrick W. Schwenck of Cincinnati, Ohio;

Thomas C. Johnson of Atlanta, Georgia;

George N. Mas of Lynchburg, Virginia;

Claud A. Sears of Columbus, Georgia was assignor to the Chero-cola Company.

Vess Jones of New York City.

Chapman J. Root of Terra Haute, Indiana of the Root Glass started two factories, one for beverage bottles and the second one a year later in 1902 for jars. Root sold the jar plant to the Ball Brothers in 1909 and the beverage plant to Owens-Illinois in 1932. It was at the Root plant that the original design for the Coca Cola bottle was proposed by Alex Samuelson, [ Earl R. Dean] a plant foreman.. By the 1920s, Root was operating three continuous tanks.( Some information taken from Bottle Makers and Their Marks - Julian Harrison Toulouse, 1971.)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

I searched all of the designers in my last post and found tons of bottles in their names, but the earliest one I could find was patented in 1923. Although the James F. Harrison / Chattanooga bottle "might" be a possible candidate, I am primarily interested and researching bottles from 1915 to about 1917.

Bob

celerycola

Reaction score
I have several variants of this bottle in emerald green and clear glass embossed Lake's Celery from Jackson, MS. There is an aqua one from East TN with a town name but no bottler.

So many questions ~ So few answers ...

Because we know Chattanooga Glass Company of Tennessee was a huge producer of Coca Cola bottles, I have to believe they were one of the contenders who had an entry at the 1916 convention. I also have to believe that Chattanooga Glass designed/patented numerous bottles over the years. And yet, even with this said, I can only find one bottle related to them, which is the one pictured below and invented/designed by a James F. Harrison that was filed on May 18, 1927 and patented on August 23, 1927.

Question: If in fact the bottle pictured below was an entry at the 1916 Coca Cola convention, is it possible that Chattanooga Glass would wait a full ten years before patenting it?

Answer: I don't know but it doesn't seem likely, although I suppose its possible.

(If anyone knows of or finds another bottle designed/patented in relation to Chattanooga Glass, please share it with us).

Thanks

Bob

Patent Text Link: Note it refers to James F. Harrison as the "Assignor"

http://www.google.com/patents/USD73288?pg=PA2&dq=James+F+Harrison&hl=en&sa=X&ei=agBwUYP5Esn0rAHGmIGwCA&ved=0CDUQ6wEwAA#v=onepage&q=James%20F%20Harrison&f=false

Does this look like a bottle that could be "recognized in the dark?"

celerycola

Reaction score
Soda bottle design patents are typically pictured in issues of American Bottler, Southern Carbonator & Bottler, and the National Bottler's Gazette. The Coca-Cola Bottler magazine had no news on the deliberation process, just a final announcement of the chosen design.

P.S. ~

I searched all of the designers in my last post and found tons of bottles in their names, but the earliest one I could find was patented in 1923. Although the James F. Harrison / Chattanooga bottle "might" be a possible candidate, I am primarily interested and researching bottles from 1915 to about 1917.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide