COCA COLA QUESTION / QUANDARY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
In other words ...

Was the red case from Boise, Idaho made in ...

1. 1890 to 1900
2. 1900 to 1910
3. 1910 to 1920
4. 1920 to 1930

Surely it is one of the above.

For anyone who chooses to address this, please provide proof with your answer.

Respectfully,

Bob

epackage

Reaction score
While I have no answers to any of the questions posed I do have to say this, the boxes without the dividing slats must have wreaked havoc on the bottles shipped in them. I can't see them being handled without the bottles smacking into one another non stop...

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jim / epackage ~

That same thing crossed my mind. And even though there is no current evidence to support it, I suppose its possible the bottles were packed with something like excelsior.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/excelsior

Thanks.

Bob

epackage

Reaction score
I was thinking that was possible too Bob, but man that would have been messy as hell for the people having to unpack them when they got to their destination...

It seems to me if you're gonna spend money for wood shavings on every case you need to ship that you would be better off paying for the dividers as a one time expense...[:-]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jim ~

I agree. There are still a lot of unanswered mysteries surrounding those shipping cases.

Bob

[ Excelsior ]

51554E940B214873AF24B35D60CC1B1B.jpg

Attachments

• 51554E940B214873AF24B35D60CC1B1B.jpg
    51554E940B214873AF24B35D60CC1B1B.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 64

epackage

Reaction score
Good luck in trying to figure it out Bob, I'm heading to bed my friend...[;)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I zoomed in on this old photograph and it appears the cased bottles pictured on the floor are alternated - one up - one down, etc. As for the date, the slogans, "Delicious And Refreshing" and "Drink A Bottle Of Coca Cola" were introduced around 1904-05.

http://www.poetpatriot.com/timeline/slogans/slogans-cocacola.htm

But here I go again getting side-tracked when the real focus is supposed to be on the red case from Boise, Idaho, which I don't see anything like in this vintage photograph.

Bob

[ Circa 1904 ]

EEACA9F9F4D4434BB2EFF96216A4DDD0.jpg

Attachments

• EEACA9F9F4D4434BB2EFF96216A4DDD0.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 59

celerycola

Reaction score
I've used this type case packed with bottles on an 800 mile trip to a bottle show and there was no rattle. The holes seem to hold the bottle neck securely with the weight of the bottle.
ORIGINAL: epackage

While I have no answers to any of the questions posed I do have to say this, the boxes without the dividing slats must have wreaked havoc on the bottles shipped in them. I can't see them being handled without the bottles smacking into one another non stop...

celerycola

Reaction score
If there were bottles neck up they would be taller than the neck down bottles due to the false bottom. All the bottles in the stacked cases pictured appear to be bottom up. The case on the left shows capped bottles neck up so the flavor can be read on the cap. Spend a few weeks reading copies of the National Bottler's Gazette and you will learn a lot about how a bottling plant operated.

And there are a lot of inaccuracies in that list of slogans with dates from the linked website. Cecil Munsey's list is better but still inconclusive.

If you have studied the various ads posted you know that the same styles of cases were used for several decades. Unless a stamped date is found (as many of the cases have) no "expert" can tell you precisely when a case was manufactured. Petretti has been cited here as an "expert" but you should consider the opinions of knowledgeable collectors at the various Coke Meets who disagree with much of what he has published. Petretti was a businessman out to make money and much of his information has been discredited by people with more collecting experience.

ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

I zoomed in on this old photograph and it appears the cased bottles pictured on the floor are alternated - one up - one down, etc. As for the date, the slogans, "Delicious And Refreshing" and "Drink A Bottle Of Coca Cola" were introduced around 1904-05.

http://www.poetpatriot.com/timeline/slogans/slogans-cocacola.htm

But here I go again getting side-tracked when the real focus is supposed to be on the red case from Boise, Idaho, which I don't see anything like in this vintage photograph.

Bob

[ Circa 1904 ]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: celerycola

I've used this type case packed with bottles on an 800 mile trip to a bottle show and there was no rattle. The holes seem to hold the bottle neck securely with the weight of the bottle.
ORIGINAL: epackage

I meant more when they were being handled and moved around by hand Dennis, especially if they had hutches in them, I can see straight sides staying put better but not hutches...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2