coke bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me right off hand when coke quit putting the city and state on the bottom of their bottles and when did they start using the plastic bottles?

digdug

Reaction score
The City/State question isn't easy to answer. Some early bottles (like the 1915) did not have a City/State on the bottom. But, by the 1923 Christmas bottle most did. In 1955 Coca-Cola Company wanted the City/State removed from the bottles because they really didn't serve a purpose anymore. Some bottlers wanted to continue using it and had to special order the bottles. So-you will find bottles from the same time period with and with out City/State. By 1962, so many bottlers complained about it the Coca-Cola Company brought back the City/State markings. But, again, not all bottlers wanted the City/State, so still were made with out it. By mid 1960's most had City/State. But- by the early 1980's, some bottles were made in Mexico for use in the U.S. These ACL bottles do not have City/State listed. The above information pertains to returnable bottles only. First plastic bottle was in early 1970's. A 32 ounce called the 'Easy Goer'

capsoda

Reaction score
I know they were still putting the names on the glass quarts in 1977 and 78. Was stationed in Tampe and used to take my oldest daughter walking to find bottles to turn in for cash. She thought she was rich. We played a game of guessing the cities on them. She would ask me to guess and I was always wrong. No Stalingrad, Who'd have guessed.[:)]

GrandpaJaceBurn

Reaction score
Hi ,I have some coke bottles a 1957,58,59, which have only
the date on the bottom I recently found a few 8oz bottles
emboss with a paper bar code.The city and state on the bottom.roswell nm,charlotte nc, new york city ny.These were
in group of thrown away bottles from the 7o,s
A short 10oz tab1979,a clear double cola 12oz 78, aclear 10oz pepsi 71,royal crown clear 10oz71, also a10oz emboss sprite70,
a emboss green 10oz 70 7up.a clear 10oz 73 dr.pepper, a clear emboss coke 10oz coke emblem inside a diamond on two sides 1967
I thought they were neat.
Jace

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229