Colonial chamberpots

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bill D.

Reaction score
Been digging in my usual creekfront colonial trash pit again. Over the years, I've made many interesting finds there including ceramics, glass, pewter cutlery, buttons, coins, indian artifacts, etc. The number of black glass spouts and bottoms, in particular, has been very high. This had to be some kind of tavern or ordinary on this site. More recently, I've been uncovering lots of early-to-mid 1700s chamberpot pieces. I've been trying to get enough to put together something close to a whole pot, but doubt I will get that lucky. These are really nice looking pieces, and thought some of you colonial diggers would find them interesting. I may post a few other items later if there's an interest.

Rp42491.jpg

Bill D.

Reaction score
Hey Road Dog

There are definitely 3 separate chamberpots. The one on the left has the complete upper rim, although it can' t be seen in the pic. The one on the right definitely doesn't match the middle one either, although I thought otherwise originally. Plus, the pieces for each of these have been dug in slightly different areas. Otherwise, it would be extremely difficult to mix and match if they all came out of the same hole. Wouldn't surprise me to see another one or 2 come outta there. By the way, here's a pic of what a completed one looks like, as I found in an old archaeology publication. This style supposedly dates to 1710-1760.

Ec89517.jpg

Attachments

• Ec89517.jpg
    Ec89517.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 88

lexdigger

Reaction score
Neat stuff! I'd like to see some of the indian artifacts! I'm an arrowhead hunter myself. Looks like the back side of a celt or other piece of hardstone in your first pic on the left??? Thanks for sharing, Chris Capley

Bill D.

Reaction score
The chamberpots are Westerwald, and were imported from Germany. Chris - I will post some indian artifacts later - I don't have the pic here at work. I've found mostly pottery, arrowheads, and a hammerstone. The rock you see in the pic with the chamberpot is just something I dug out of the back yard, and is not an artifact.

Road Dog

Reaction score
Here ya go Lexdigger. This is the largest Type1 Morrow Mountain I have found. I need get it restored from those plow hits. I found this in Fuquay Varina N.C.

Qo39530.jpg

Attachments

• Qo39530.jpg
    Qo39530.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 77

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete