Corning glass museum eyecandy....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
Thanks, Joe for posting all those pictures. It's so danged aggravating that they won't spend a little time to better orchestrate and tastefully display those flasks. It's not that difficult to do if I can do it. But honestly, when I look at stuff like that, my stomach literally knots up, just like the first time I laid eyes on my wife 30 years ago. So Mike, it was a compliment of the highest sort when I said you should rename yourself "The Nauseator" because those pictures of your medicines have the same effect!

earlyglass

Reaction score
I know Jim! I appreciate your compliments. I love to show off this stuff just as much as I love to look at them (almost on a daily basis). It REALLY amazes me to have this kind of glass in my collection because I really never expected to see some of these things in my lifetime. So, I share what I can with other glass junkies!

I like my Howards, however, there is one out there that really makes me "nauseous"!

Joe, I would like to add my appreciation as well for your visual tour of Corning. I am scheduling a tour this Spring! Did you have some personal favorites?

Mike

RedGinger

Reaction score
Sandchip, I agree. There were some great bottles and I really wanted to get a better look at them. They should have some free standing displays so you can see the backs of them as well. There was one cabinet that had two large jars crammed with dolls, pencils and odds and ends. I couldn't tell what all was in there! Anyone know?? I would have like to have gotten a better look at some of the labels too. I'm not complaining, well I guess I am, but there are a lot of things they could do to make their displays better and it would not take much effort. The ancient Roman glass, etc. and all of the newer glass were displayed much more effectively.

Mike, Red, anyone else visiting Corning, let us know when you go and you can come visit and dig with us. We're not far from the museum. That would be a real treat.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Mike,....I just noticed your question.... I loved seeing all these rare and classic flasks and bottles, and I really liked all the 'heavy hitters' but I have a question for you as well concerning one of these flasks.....I'm pretty sure that the blue flask in this pic was from the Lockport glass works,...Just for that fact I really liked it ,could you confirm that it was a Lockport bottle? (I have a thing for Lockport glass, and Merchant's bottles...It's kind of our version of Stoddard)....My other favorite out of these pics was the vertical ribbed olive/citron colored Louisville Glass Works flask, Followed by the Ravenna Glass Works flask... Thanks for asking,.... Joe

D44C65CA46C34862A1978BB14A8A7AAF.jpg

Attachments

• D44C65CA46C34862A1978BB14A8A7AAF.jpg
    D44C65CA46C34862A1978BB14A8A7AAF.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 74

earlyglass

Reaction score
Joe,

That is a GI-60 in blue... very pretty flask and certainly Lockport, as it is embossed with the glasshouse name. Jeff and I were recently having a conversation about the fact that so many Washington / Taylor flasks (which had always been attributed to Dyottville) are probably in fact Lockport. They are often found in NY state, Canada, etc and come in a range of colors very typical of the Lockport factory output.

Mike

earlyglass

Reaction score
Here is what I mean... pretty little Lockport yellow green!

Mike

03E4CBA1DCF4443BA4A5DB2BC9E0EDCB.jpg

Attachments

• 03E4CBA1DCF4443BA4A5DB2BC9E0EDCB.jpg
    03E4CBA1DCF4443BA4A5DB2BC9E0EDCB.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 66

earlyglass

Reaction score
other side...

243A13BA7CC848CC9F97E75A1954BC9E.jpg

Attachments

• 243A13BA7CC848CC9F97E75A1954BC9E.jpg
    243A13BA7CC848CC9F97E75A1954BC9E.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 69

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Mike,...do you think that follows true of other local semi-rare bottles?...There are a lot of quite beautiful Buffalo NY bottles (bitters),...etc. that certainly look like lockport glass to me, and it only makes sense since they're neighbors... http://www.bottlebooks.com/buffalobottles/early_buffalo_medicine_bottles2.htm
The pics on this link page don't illustrate my point exactly color-wise,....but alot of early Buffalo bottles (and shards) that I've dug seem to validate this.... Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen