Corning glass museum eyecandy....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: kungfufighter

As memory serves it's a GII-16 Doug and a dandy at that. Sadly, Corning does not do a terribly good job of displaying the McKearin Collection but it's still a great place to visit. Looking at a one of a kind flask THROUGH an aqua Washington-Taylor and a common calabash can be annoying but it's still wildly enjoyable. For some reason folks always look strangley at Holly and I as we crawl along the floor looking at the lower rows or the bases of the flasks. I wonder why that might be?

Your correct and I would love to see the collection, regardless. Realizing the same flask is in one of Joe's other pics I think Mike's assumption that it is one of the beaded edge Jackson flasks is dead on. Looking from the other angle I see you have to look through a common wash-taylor and then through a GII-62( another crime ) to see it. I appreciate the fact that these items are preserved and displayed but many are truly National treasures and should be treated as such. I will follow your lead and send a positive letter to the museum. I remember reading an article by Ralph Finch a few years ago about this but without pictures it didn't have much meaning.Thanks again for sharing your experience with us Joe.

potstone

Reaction score
I can't believe that I have never been to corning. It's a trip
that I have been wanting to take for a long time. Anyway, thanks
for the tour. I'm sure there is some spectacular glass to see,
especially from the Mckearin collection.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Can't believe I have not already said it but I should add a very sincere "thank you" to Joe and Laur for sharing pics. Your efforts are most appreciated!!!!

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Now that my head is on a bit straighter (note to self - get the flu shot next year) I am fairly confident that the flask in question is a GI-68 Jackson-Flowers, one of my favorite Pittsburgh molds. Of course ANY beaded Jackson flask in color is a phenomenal object so in the end, it's a treat to see any of 'em[:D]

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Jeff,..You're most welcome...Thanks everyone for the appreciative comments...., Digdug...We did not make it to the library, there was just so much to see, that a second trip is warranted. I'm not one to fault find too often, but I will agree that whomever arranged the flasks did not posses any logic that I can fathom,
m8.gif
But in spite of that, it was truely awe inspiring to see all that rare and important glass! I did quite a bit of crawling around on the floor as well,...[:D] I'll post up a few more pics,...In some of these, the awful arrangement can be better seen. Still and all,..good....Joe

7D1BE5176098434282E278DF3B592A5C.jpg

Attachments

• 7D1BE5176098434282E278DF3B592A5C.jpg
    7D1BE5176098434282E278DF3B592A5C.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 59

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday