Could this be real ?????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Michdigger

Reaction score
Hmmmmm.

a very old soda bottle. OAKLAND BOTTLING CO CAL. and the wrighting is all done with acid etching. the bottle is green, with very nice bubbles. there is no seam's in the bottle. it was blown in a wooden mold. most likely. and the blob top looks like it was applyed after the bottle was made. and it stands 9 1/2in high.
i am in the gold country. and i sell by mail, or you can pick up. money orders get same day shipment. checks must clear first. no pay-pal. and no cashiers or certifed checks. 209 984-4688. i thank you for looking. jack710

3md3o93l2ZZZZZZZZZ93h9e81c0052b54106f.jpg

3n93ka3maZZZZZZZZZ93h0ade2e7f3ebd1f4a.jpg

Wilkie

Reaction score
I am always skeptical when I see glass like that. I had the oppurtunity once myself to purchase one just like yours though, except no bail like on yours. That means there are at least two out there but that doesn't mean it's real. I'm still skeptical.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
That exact same one is on SF Craigslist for around $75. I think it's been on there several times over the last month or two. I check there pretty regularly. Others must be pretty scepticl too or the price is to high. I would rarely trust acid etching especially with such shotty pics.

Wilkie

Reaction score
except no bail like on yours
After looking at your picture again I realized that the wire "bail" that I thought I saw was some sort of rack you set it down on[:D]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello, Acid etching was done with a transfer paper stuck to the glass. It was quite hazardous. but effective. It is a process used a lot in the bristol glass vase business and some of the enameling on porcelain. In my NY home I have a kerosene lamp with a long wick and an oval lamp shades. The glass outer shades are tucked and acid etched with vines and leaves.
Nice bottle and I like the stopper clamp. Thanks for posting it.
RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi again, I doubt that the bottle was blown in a wooden mold. My guess is that it was blown in a turn mold, which is a cast iron mold with a paste lining and the blown bottle was turned in the mold to remove the mold seam lines.
RED Matthews

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I don't think it's his, he's just asking. Could be real but I'd be leary. Looks like one of those turn mold mineral water/ginger ale bottles that somebody etched.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
My guess would be that is legitimate old etching. I have found many of those bottles with etching. Its typically just grape leafs or other designs but they sometimes have text.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday