Crooked necks mean what exactly?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grugirl

Reaction score
Steve, Gob feeder? Are there any online videos that you know of to show the old time bottle making techniques?

grugirl

Reaction score
Found some good You Tube vids but of course will continue the research as always.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hey Cheryl.. welcome to the forum..!

I bet this could be settled with a couple clear pics of the base and lip. I don't mean to insult, of course..

grugirl

Reaction score
Yes, uploading some now. As clear as I can get. I am certain it is a hand-tooled lip, too many identifying marks of tools and forcing it to try to be straightened when the neck was so crooked. If it is machine made but tooled lip, what is technically considered then?

I ALSO FOUND a NEW MARK on the front of the bottle near the base. A distinctive round mark like something was pressed into the glass while hot, a tool... for holding perhaps? It is not a perfect round circle made by a machine. I am adding a pic here.

OK Boys, Off to put my chix and dux to bed and will be back after you all hammer it out some more. Notice the round mark on the front near the bottom of the bottle and all the other goodies. I will be back in a while.
IMG_2661.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg
IMG_2662.jpg
IMG_2663.jpg
IMG_2663.jpg

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I have a 30 inch monitor, you should see these bad boys on here they still dont fit on the screen.......................I cant see the seam but I see a flea carrying a paramecium on the one bottle anyone else see that?[sm=lol.gif] She has out done me and my large pictures lobeycat can attest to that.It sure as heck looks like its...........I still cant tell.....................Everything about the bottle says hand made but that large circle on the bottom.This has been entertaining Cheryl.

grugirl

Reaction score
LOL.. you guys wanted closeups... no seam on the lip but do you see the two tool marks in the top pic on the right? they look like butterfly wings on the lip.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Hey Cheryl this has been fun,Where do you work in technology?I own my own Telecommunication company.We install data and voice networks,install T-1s,Ds-3s,set up point to point long haul wireless access points,cctv,We also have Cisco certified network admins.Your bottle is literally sitting on the fence of old school and new school.Its a great looking bottle.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I vote type 1 or 3 and BIM. All I see glare in the center. The lip looks tooled to me. I guess we'll need some good clear pics or the bottle in hand. Fun discussion though.[8|]

C5E37B05C72F4D0199BD0C2691D9C780.jpg

Attachments

• C5E37B05C72F4D0199BD0C2691D9C780.jpg
    C5E37B05C72F4D0199BD0C2691D9C780.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 53

GuntherHess

Reaction score
There is a trick you can use to differentiate between a tooled lip and an applied lip without even looking at the bottle. If you can get your finger in the mouth and neck of the bottle you can feel the glass. If it is a tooled lip it will feel perfectly smooth. THis is because the lip and bottle were made of the same piece of glass. On an applied lip there will be a slight ring depression where the lip glass connects to the bottle glass.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1