Crooked necks mean what exactly?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Steve, Gob feeder? Are there any online videos that you know of to show the old time bottle making techniques?
Hello grugirl; Well I am back on your posted bottle puzzle. First of all - from the quote: Gob Feeder? This is the name applied to the end of the trough that takes molten glass out to and over the glass forming machine. If it were an ole HMB machine with single molds on it there would be a vertical oscillating needle that would work up and down above an orifice ring that would be shaped down to a round hole. The size of this hole would determine the diameter of the gob of glass that was needed to make the intended bottle. The down stroke of the plunger would push glass through and the mechanized shear blades would be timed to cut off the gob when it was the correct weight.
After this gob is cut loose it would then fall through a delivery tube system that would deliver it into the parison stage mold (actually called a Blank Mold). From there the mold equipment on the machine would make the bottle from that.

Secondly you asked for videos. Bill Lindsey's sma.org has some videos in it to show some bottle making actions.
http://www.sha.org/bottle/ or you can go to this one http://www.sha.org/bottle/index.htm

You can spend days learning from his work. Red Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again grugirl; Going back to your first post: "Here is one I have with a seriously crooked neck and I have to wonder if it was even used in a mold(mould?) or if it was handblown. I don't know how to tell the difference yet. I am still too new at this".

To begin with mold and (mould). The mould spelling I think came from England or Europe at least. The plain mold spelling started to be applied in the late 1800s and the start of the 1900s for sure. The fact that there are side seams, means that your bottle was blown in a mold. Your picture of the bottom, looks like it could have been blown in a Bottom Hinged - Key type Mold. The cross over parting comes across as a rough seam that comes in from the left and then follows up and around the centering plug used in these type molds and the proceeds to the right to the side seam of the bottle. In this type of operation, the two halves of the mold as they closed wrapped the front half around the centering bottom plug when the mold boy closed the mold. After the bottle was given it's final blow the mold boy opened the front half of the mold and the bottle blower sort of pushed his blow pipe away from himself and this helped him remove the bottle from the back half of he mold. In the case of a long neck like this, it often bent the neck with his movement.

Regarding the finish application and tooling, one would have to see it to tell much to us. I liked and appreciated Guntherhess's explanation of the inside feeling of the neck regarding, if it was applied glass ring that was tooled, or a shaped finish that was applied.

For the $ 3.00 on the tag - you got a good bottle anyway. RED Matthews

grugirl

Reaction score
OK>. TOOLED LIP FOR SURE> I used the trick on being able to stick my finger in to feel if there was a lip or if the inside was smooth. Although I have my father's manly hands, I used the tip of a pencil to stroke the inside of the bottle all the way around on the inside. There is NO ridge, lip or other defining feeling that it is an applied lip. It is all one piece of glass for sure. I am so INTRIGUED with all this. I even went to visit a few sites to take pics today. They are probably nothing but got some names and numbers from both sites and neighbors of the owners. The historical aspect of all of this is a welcomed bonus!!!

grugirl

Reaction score
I am finishing my 3rd and final degree. My first two are in education and educational technology. Getting my last degree in ITS.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1