Croton Ink

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Croton is a pretty common house plant, I think I used to have one.
http://www.evergrowing.com/tips/croton.htm

Dont know if they ever made ink from them.

saw this...
Dragon's blood is a bright red resin that is obtained from different species of four distinct plants genera Croton, Dracaena, Daemonorops, and Pterocarpus. The red resin was used in ancient times as varnish, medicine, and dyes.

I guess croton ink was probably made from the red dye. it appears this plant is different than the croton house plant (another species)

bearswede

Reaction score
different than the croton house plant

There's a Croton Punctatus, the Gulf Croton that grows mainly in the extreme southern US, but also as far north as Pennsylvania... It's a plain green plant, bit still has that "tropical" look to it...

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Ron, that Gulf Croton is a pain in the a$$ if it gets a foot hold. Good for land scaping though cause it's a weed like most other land scaping weeds around here.LoL

Hey Matt, My mom says her aunt use lamp black and croton oil for ink. Says it was bad news to get on your skin because it burned and caused a rash. They also used it in very small doses to blow themselves out when constipated. Say it almost worked too well.[&:]

bearswede

Reaction score
I do believe that crotons are what we put on Caesar salads :)

That's a RIOT, Bram!!

I, too, am a chef... But I know that "croton" refers to the common cockroach... Good eatin' and probably makes good ink, too!!! ROR!!!

Ron

capsoda

Reaction score
I'm a chef by trade, and I do believe that crotons are what we put on Caesar salads :)

You mean those little rocks in salads?[:'(]

I, too, am a chef... But I know that "croton" refers to the common cockroach... Good eatin' and probably makes good ink, too!!! ROR!!!

Only good eatin if you pull off the legs first.[&:]

longneck

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the replys but from the sounds of things we all need to get together and fix some food I to am a chef have been for a few years now do alittle digging fix some good food hang with friends does it get any better then that well and somthing to wash it all down with well later

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey Brother... Welcome to the Brotherhood:

BOTTLE DIGGIN' CHEFS ANONYMOUS

Yowzza!!!

Ron

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members