crystal clear cistern

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rwcw1040

Reaction score
I was raking thru the dirt under an 1840's building this past weekend a came across the cistern. We removed the stone cover and the water was crystal clear. We could not see the bottom, but it probed out at the depth of about 10'. This building was the local potter in 1840, and was in business for 20 plus years. I was thinking about doning the scuba gear and taking the plunge, but before I go thru this bone chilling adventure, what are the chances of any treasures being preserved in this time capsule? Would it be worth it? This building is in the process of being demolished so I will never get this chancs again, because they will fill it in. What do you experienced cistern diggers think? Thanks

cyberdigger

Reaction score
If the water is so clear, maybe a really bright flashlight will tell you what's going on down there.. one of those million candlepower jobbers..

Clam

Reaction score
If this guy was the local potter leave the cistern along and look for the privy or privys and look around for the waste pile of pottery.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Most water tanks under a building I would thing would be for use. The few I've seen were under the kitchen. Since this was a pottery it may have just been just for wetting the clay but either way I don't know if they would use it to dump trash in.
Can you you make up a viewing box and lower a light down on a rope?

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey Randy
I belive youd be better off looking for that privys to.Need some help! The cisterns not likely to hold much ,And being covered it was most likely used into the 1920s or so.If its like most around here the down spout from the building feed it .I have one that still works on my back pourch .Stop by some time .
bill

riverdiver

Reaction score
I like your thinking of diving it only because the unknown is a big drive for divers, besides how many folks have dove a cistern before. On the other hand I too would lower a dive light first to look for snags and potential problems and if you do dive it please take a surface tender, I dont want to dive alone this september!

1C34B2FF0478489E9273EEDB79714CB9.jpg

Attachments

• 1C34B2FF0478489E9273EEDB79714CB9.jpg
    1C34B2FF0478489E9273EEDB79714CB9.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 65

ilovejake24

Reaction score
I have dug 7 cisterns in the last 3 years. Let me tell you they are either hit or miss. 5 of them were completely empty of any and all forms of glass. The other two were LOADED. One had over 400 mint bottles plus tons of broken stuff. Its been my experience that cisterns typically have later bottles in them. I think the people of the house would often use them as a trash pit once the cistern stopped being of use. I wouldn't expect to find anything too early in there, but you don't know until you've explored it depths.

diggerdave

Reaction score
I would say your chances are not good. Cisterns that have bottles in them, were filled in with trash and dirt. This has not been filled in with anything, from the sounds of it. Also, it may be a well. If the walls are stone, it would be a well. If the walls are brick or stone, plastered with mortar, then it is a cistern.

If it is an 1840's house, why not look for the privies in the yard....

ORIGINAL: rwcw1040

I was raking thru the dirt under an 1840's building this past weekend a came across the cistern. We removed the stone cover and the water was crystal clear. We could not see the bottom, but it probed out at the depth of about 10'. This building was the local potter in 1840, and was in business for 20 plus years. I was thinking about doning the scuba gear and taking the plunge, but before I go thru this bone chilling adventure, what are the chances of any treasures being preserved in this time capsule? Would it be worth it? This building is in the process of being demolished so I will never get this chancs again, because they will fill it in. What do you experienced cistern diggers think? Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583