Cute cover story - Kids discover bottle digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crcurrie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jays emporium

If you could post some group pictures of the embossed milks and soda bottles some of the collectors on here could tell you if any are rarities. They might ask for closeups of some of them after viewing the group pictures.

When you say, "embossed," you mean on parts of the bottle other than the bottom, right? I'm guessing all the bottles have some embossing on the bottom ...

Chris

KBbottles

Reaction score
Hi Chris... Embossed means any with writing, etc... on any part of the bottle. Definitely get all those milks looked at before selling. You may even find some good collectors on here who would pay much more to help your daughter's cause!

crcurrie

Reaction score
I'll get my daughter snapping photos this evening after she'd done with homework. She's really thrown herself into this project -- digging, hauling, cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning, sorting, boxing, etc. She's got more than 200 ready to go and many more still to be cleaned.

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement. Now my curiosity is really aroused!

Chris

crcurrie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: the ham man

Great Story!!! I can relate. I'm 16 now but started digging when I was 13. I wonder if they would do a story on me. hahaha. just kidding [:D]

Ham Man, seriously, you should get in touch with your Ellicott City community newspaper. I'm willing to bet they'd love to do a feature story on your escapades bottle digging. It's a fascinating hobby and unusual, too.

Chris

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: KBbottles

Hi Chris... Embossed means any with writing, etc... on any part of the bottle.  Definitely get all those milks looked at before selling.  You may even find some good collectors on here who would pay much more to help your daughter's cause!
KB, not trying to step on your toes,but I would think the discription of embossed (that is above)would be kinda vague to someone not into bottles... with that being said... Embossed is a bottle with any writing or raised lettering that is in the glass itself.. Not printed on or painted on...

crcurrie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: creeper71

Embossed is a bottle with any writing or raised lettering that is in the glass itself.. Not printed on or painted on...

Thanks for clarifying, Creeper. I'd surmised that much about embossing -- just wasn't sure whether the embossing that's important is what the consumer would see on the bottle, or included the obscure markings at the bottom of the bottle -- like patent numbers and those symbols and numbers that I'm assuming refer to the bottle's manufacture. It seems like all our bottles have embossing on the bottom, but only some of them have embossing on the other parts of the bottle.

Chris

pabottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and thanks very much for your input! You never know what's lurking in your own back yard when it comes to old bottles etc. In the house I was born and raised in there were bottles galore just in the foundation itself .Pretty cool for a house built in 1915.Anyways keep digging and finding!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
This was a fun thread to read.. thank you Chris! [:)]

lexdigger

Reaction score
Some coca cola's from that era bring big bucks. Like others have said, the milks can sell good to. Did they dig Any with the word Poison or a skull and crossbones embossed on the sides?

crcurrie

Reaction score
This was a fun thread to read.. thank you Chris!

And I'd like to thank all of you friendly and helpful Forum members -- it's been quite a pleasure!

My daughter is scooting through her homework at this moment so she can start taking pictures ...

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward