Daube's Mountain Dew, Legit Hillbilly Dew?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Came across this dew on ebay. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=200626920564&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=59191598000

Its the mobilewebsite, cannot get to the laptop at the moment. I am sure this will spark a whole new fake, not fake debate. I am a dew fanatic and have never heard of, much less seen this bottle before. Well, let the debate begin.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
I don't know. Kinda odd that it has, Daube's Mountain Dew on it. We are talking a 1959 bottle, but I have never heard of the name Daube involved in the brand, and I'm sure Bill Jones would have had a conniption fit when he learned that Daube was trying to claim that the brand was his. Add to that the fact that the front trademarked label isn't on the bottle at all. Also isn't it odd that the neck says Yummy instead of Yahoo!

Real? I honestly don't know, but it's not exactly the most interesting piece. It's up to $102.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Up to $213 now! Crazy how designer bottles get big bucks just on the small chance they may be real. If I was a person with lower character I may consider making a "rare" Mountain Dew of my own. Guess if I was to do it I would make a party jug copy. Possibly a paper label barney and ally. Idk...

epackage

Reaction score
I know Dave is real well respected bottle seller, and he may even be a member but I don't know...The one downside is the number of "Sun Colored Bottles" he seems to find to sell, seems way too many for my taste...

splante

Reaction score
agree with most of above, guess its real but hard to believe it fell through the cracks, never heard of it , and not aware of the yoummy yummy either is that normal on md bottles?

Plumbata

Reaction score
Very interesting. As unusual as it may be, it does look rather real to me.

Dave Beeler is typically an upstanding individual despite his interest in making a living from this hobby (irradiated glass etc). I doubt that he would sell anything that was obviously faked. This looks like one to watch and learn from. If I'm incorrect in my opinion please inform me and all others so we can avoid such appealing but infelicitous items in the future.

It makes me want to go through every standing barn in the state looking for more rare ACLs! [:)]

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:)]Hi Plumbata It looks real to me. I have bought several bottles from Dave, and never a problem. Re the dew, wouldn't it be rather hard to reproduce the painted label on a bottle like that to feel and look professionally done???

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Don't know, but I am beginning to get a little bit suspicious of all of these Uber rare never heard of before Mountain Dew bottles which seem to be showing up as of late. They can't all be prototypes, and it's just so odd that this one doesn't have the body label on it, being a one color acl in this era is also suspicious, the only returnable Mountain Dew from this era that was one color acl was the Barney & Ally. Looks like something someone doctored up in photoshop or something. The Yummy Yummy throws me on this one, it looks far too much like a paper label bottle which someone has silk screened random Mountain Dew clip art on. If it had an acl on the neck this would be harder to dispute, but it doesn't. Everything is on the flat part of the body. Then there is the fact that there appears to be absolutely no wear on the bottle or even some dust on the acl. Sometimes when something is too good to be true, it usually is.

One uber rare never before seen Mountain Dew bottle is a coincidence, two in the same year is a suspicious trend. We still haven't seen another example of the other bottle either.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
That thing looks fake as hell. A childish fantasy piece by the way it was decorated.

Thing that gets me is why would someone put "It'll tickle yore innards" on a pre-64 fake instead of "Mnt. Dew is good".

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles