Daube's Mountain Dew, Legit Hillbilly Dew?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Osia, those were my sentiments exactly. One thing morbious pointed out is they also don't have the R in a circle, for registered, anywhere on the bottle. It is a fantasy piece. Is it worth $215 just for the novelty? There are going to be whole slews of dew bottles coming out now...

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

That thing looks fake as hell. A childish fantasy piece by the way it was decorated.

Thing that gets me is why would someone put "It'll tickle yore innards" on a pre-64 fake instead of "Mnt. Dew is good".

I'm afraid you have been collecting the pre-64 Dew bottles from North Carolina too much. It'll tickle your innards was first used on the Barney & Ally bottles as far back as 1951. Mountain Dew is good is the North Carolina variation of the slogan.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: morbious_fod

ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

That thing looks fake as hell. A childish fantasy piece by the way it was decorated.

Thing that gets me is why would someone put "It'll tickle yore innards" on a pre-64 fake instead of "Mnt. Dew is good".

I'm afraid you have been collecting the pre-64 Dew bottles from North Carolina too much. It'll tickle your innards was first used on the Barney & Ally bottles as far back as 1951. Mountain Dew is good is the North Carolina variation of the slogan.

Add S.C. to the list.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
I was going to say something about that too morb. I had to go check my barney and ally to make sure it said "it'll tickle your innards!". One thing is for sure, "Yummy" was never used by MD, except it is very yummy. Yummy yummy yummy I have innards in my tummy??? Haha.

I know innards is hillbilly rhetoric, but I doubt it would be used nowadays. Reminds me of collards, or chitlins.

fishnuts

Reaction score
I have written before about the work and costs involved in making silk screens, etc. in order to produce fake sodas, so I don't think I need to go there.
However, on my trip to the Tulsa Bottle show i stopped at an antique mall and witnessed a booth space where the seller had about a half dozen different WWII patriotic milk bottles displayed. I couldn't believe my good fortune! And best of all they were not priced in the several hundreds of dollars range, as normal. Only $39.95...each, so I chose a couple thinking I could flip them at the show. But then my experienced self took over from my joyous kid-self and I began to examine them more closely. I don't exactly know what it was that 'turned me off'...they just didn't look 'right'...sort of like this MD.
I eventually passed on them all, and bought the BOZO paper label from Arkadelphia instead. Yea for me...and lucky.

Set up day at the show and, wonder of wonders, the guy next to me had three of the same six I had just seen...priced at, what I thought was about half of retail. As they were still setting up, I didn't speak to them but later we did. I noticed by then that the prices were now $40.00 each. And we talked. He had shown them to a collector deeper into milk acls than either he or I who passed along that they were fakes! As I held one up to examine most closely I could detect that the acl was spotless and clean as new (probaby was). It definately appeared to be an old bottle alright but with a new screen job applied. As I looked, the contrast between the clean bottle and it's even cleaner, and sparkling acl began to grow.
They were all frauds, of course. Apparently, as with these milks freshly seen, there are plenty of them in the marketplace. Waiting to be purchased by unsuspecting 'joyous kid-selves'...grateful and greedy to find such 'rare' items at bargain prices.

I place this MD in that category. I suspect that there are more than this one...that whoever is producing these simple one color labels is producing them on a grander scale than I originally thought. The milks are outright fraud. This...?
A sucker is born every minute, eh?

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Wow. Guess I've gotta be wary of that.

But I'm probably safe, I only collect embossed bottles. Can't fake embossing nowadays, at least not yet... [&:]

Eric

Reaction score
making vinyl masking would be a easy way to paint these bottles... Not saying that this
MD is.. just saying... As I have done maksing when restoring embossed lettering on
my soda machines and coolers... painted letters with sharp and crisp lines.
Also know guys that restore Coke button signs the same way.... you can't tell.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles