Dig pictures

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jesster64

Reaction score
dig10.jpg

rlo

Reaction score
great dig! & I love that you took pix, I always forget my camera. am waiting to see the cleaned goods

diginit

Reaction score
Hi jesster,
By the looks of things you are digging a cave. I've done some of that too and I feel I have to tell you that it's a baaad idea. Dumps are usually uncompacted soil and are very unstable even when seemingly solid. Due to eroding metal, etc. A number of diggers have been buried in cave ins. I've been pretty close myself. All of a sudden, with no warning, thup. Face down covered with dirt.
Support will help, But dirt is heavy. Take alittle more time to move the surface dirt so you can show us what you've missed by digging in the middle. J.

jesster64

Reaction score
Thanks diginit. I'm actually digging underneath a tree. I was afraid of a ton of dirt comming down on me so i did widen it and knocked the top layer down. A lot of bottles were protected by the roots. Of course I keep a close eye on the tree. Don't want that comming down on me either. The dump dates from 1775 to 1950. its about a 200 yard long ditch by 20 yards wide. So far, my friend and i found 2 reales, 6 large cents, a ton of home made nails, horseshoes, a couple of marbles, pipe stems, a terra cotta pipe bowl, buckles (colonial and civil war era) , small white pajama buttons, mother of pearl buttons, civil war era double gilt buttons, and about 40 nice bottles. Most are unembossed little medicine type. I haven't even cleaned most of them yet. A few large tri-mold bottles,a pumpkin flask, a couple mason jars, condiment and fruit bottles, pieces of lanterns, about 3 nice jewelry pieces. it looks like the privies have been dug out, but I go a couple yards on either side and have been able to find smaller medicine bottles. Either they missed them or didn't bother with the unembossed stuff. I'm afraid I'll never find another site like this, but damn glad and lucky i found this one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc