Diggin' with the Boyz

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
I got outta work yesterday and got ready to call the momma when I noticed a text message. It was Bombboy and he was ready to go tear up the dump. I called momma and let her know that I had plans and stopped home to grab my diggin' gear and my oldest son.

With a kiss and a hug we were both on our way to out bottle haven. We got to the parking spot and Bombboy and Bomboy Jr. were just getting their gear out of the car. Some general bottle related conversation and we were on our way to our next digging adventure. Down the trail the boys ran ahead of us, being boyz. We had to speak to them a time or two to stay close and before you know it we're walking down the steep bank to our respective bottle hunting grounds.

I let the boyz terrorize my diggin' spot for a while. Bringing down the walls for me to clean out later. It wasn't long and Jr. was yelling hey Mr. Swiz look at what Shane dug. My son has my big 3 prong digger turned upside down and holding it at length with a bottle on one of the forks. It turned out to be the best bottle of the whole dig. Out dug by a 7 year old!! It was the same spot that he pulled a cute little warranted flask a few days before. Out of the top layer which is 1920/30's stuff he pulls a BIM Dr. Wistar's Balsam of Wild Cherry Philada IB.

Just before that Bombboy finally pulled his first figural Jumbo elephant jar. I believe that makes 3 good ones that we've dug outta there. His boy was happy digging bricks and breaking them until I made the suggestion to build something with them. He liked that idea. Of course with two rambunctious boyz there wasn't any fox sightings this time. I also taught the boyz the joys of airplane bottles. They fly well but they don't land so good.

After a while the boys started to get bored and then I caught my son trying to roll a big rock back into the hole after I dug it out and tossed it up on top of my mountain. With boredom setting in and wifey calling more frequently it was time to call "one last bottle" and go. Well that one last bottle was quite stubborn. With darkness setting in we decided to call it and head on home.

On the way out we saw a man wandering around the parking area looking at the ground and reading the sign. I think he was looking at the different plants. As we walked by he says, "Ginseng", I says "Yeah" and he says "Find any?" At this point I was fighting back a giggle and said "no" and then he tries his hand at being grumpy, which he wasn't very good at. He says, "You wouldn't tell me if you did".

We all exchanged our evening niceties and down the road we went. Bombboy can tell ya more about the joining of our two bottle digging pits. I'll add a pic of my son with his latest bottle in a minute or 4 and Congrats Bombboy on finally digging an elephant. Mr. Swiz

swizzle

Reaction score
Bottles070.jpg

swizzle

Reaction score
I'd say that's a darn cool bottle to dig at 7 years old. His birthday is coming up soon. Maybe I'll take him for a birthday dig, I think he was more excited over the big bottles. I love hearing him say, "This bottle has letters on it and it has a picture on the bottom." He cracks me up. Gotta love it. I also like hearing Bombboy's son call me, "Mr. Swiz". [:D] Swiz

surfaceone

Reaction score
As we walked by he says, "Ginseng", I says "Yeah" and he says "Find any?" At this point I was fighting back a giggle and said "no" and then he tries his hand at being grumpy, which he wasn't very good at. He says, "You wouldn't tell me if you did". 

Hey Swiz,

Those forest treasures are no gigglin matter these days...[8D]

wildginseng_with_berries.jpg

"Well, I'm sure the price for good quality, dry ginseng will be different within 7 or 8 years when you get to the point when you are ready to sell your roots, but over the last 3 or 4 years, it has been going anywhere from around $250 to $500 per pound. The "explosion" of prices of ginseng came in 2007 when wild ginseng hit close to $1,000/lb dried and woods-grown and wild-simulated ginseng roots fetched $350 to $750/lb dried, depending on the age and quality of ginseng roots. I expect this price trend will stay and will be strengthened more due to the great demands in the Chinese market." From.

I'd like to find a nice ginseng dump...

GinsengHarvester.jpg

swizzle

Reaction score
Most of the ginseng around here was dug out. If I did find a wild stand of it then I might come back for the seeds and try to grow my own but I'd most likely leave the roots. I believe the most common ginseng around here is the Dwarf American. Not quite as valuable. Swiz

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
I know where some grows but last time I was there someone had dug most of it up...not mentioning my areas anymore...(Although I was vague enough that maybe someone else just accidentally happened onto it) [>:] Bottles or Ginseng, guess you can't mention too much.

bombboy

Reaction score
Hey Mr Swiz. Jr and I had a great day diggin and will be posting our finds and comments tomorrow. Today we went to a quarry and dug through some old diggings from a closed dump. Didn't find any good glass but I got a couple of crocks at another spot and a couple of goodies from a garage sale. Well we're both wore slap out and in need of a good nights sleep, so we'll be back in the morning.
Mark & Jr

swizzle

Reaction score
So you finally made it out to the quarry. Keep poking around in there long enough and you'll hit some old glass. Its suppose to be one of the biggest dumps around. This weekend looks like a washout and the weekend after that is our own garage sale weekend so I may be doing some selling to make more room for more bottles. talk to you soon Mr. Bombboy. Mr. Swiz

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem