digging etiquettte

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FloridaDigger

Reaction score
Sandytoga; ...there is some digger rules to adhere by, .....if you know whos digging there then you should avoid their hole, ..since you do not its not a problem. Asking permission from the property owner is best. I had a large hole dug in G'ville Fla. many years ago at a popular city dump, juicy layer exposed but ran out of daylight. That same day there was other diggers nearby digging their own holes. I left my hole open to come back the very next day; ..and of-course one of the less scrupulous diggers was already in my hole (7:30 in the morning!); ...I was a little ticked, .,.I asked him nicely to get out and he ignored me at first, until I threatend to hit him over the head with my shovel, ...he got out. I would not have actually hit him, but sometimes you have to be tough.I alwasy fill in & cover my holes when the layers run out, as well as put all the trash & debris back in the hole, ..you should try to make it look as nice as possible.

sandytoga

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies everyone. The dump is huge with a big range of dates. The current hole that's been dug is on one end; it looks like the stuff from the hole is 1870's or so. Then further into the woods on the other end (at least 100 yards away), there are lots of soda bottles from the 1970's on the surface. I haven't researched whether this is an old official town dump, or just a place in the woods that people had been dumping their stuff for years. I've peeked into where the hole is a few times over the past couple weeks, and it doesn't look like anyone has been back yet. But there is a big enough area to choose my own spot, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about that. Even with permission, I would look very odd walking toward the cemetery with a big shovel! [sm=lol.gif]

kanudigit?

Reaction score
The first place i dug when I started digging (less than a year ago) is behind a cemetary. Huge area, spits out neat stuff wherever you stick your shovel, would love to go there with aboot 4 people and REALLY move some dirt. So far me and Jon havn't been smart enough to dig straight down, we've been chasing one vein sideways because it just doesn't end and keeps giving up nice stuff.

jesster

Reaction score
The proper thing to do is get permission. i would explain you're a neighbor and even offer to share what you find or make a donation to the church. Churches ears seem to perk up when you mention donation. You do run the risk of them saying no, then you're screwed. seems like the areas big enough so that you don't have to jump in someone elses hole. If the hole is untouched all summer, I'd consider it abandoned. I'd say dig untill someone says something. You can always apologize if you are caught. If another digger is really irate, offer to let them dig your property, but I don't see that happening. just an option.

E

Reaction score
Etiquette in digging? Absolutely no such thing: unless you own or manage the property forget about it. I have dealt with scavengers stealing my dumps and fresh pits for nearly 40 years now - but somehow the favor never seems to be returned my way. If I ever chance upon a unattended hole that is obviously yielding good stuff, I'm diggin.

Reminds of a kid up in Cincinnati that used to scavenge every dump that I found - I don't think the little devil ever found one on his own. When I found a good spot I would dig what I could and try to cover the rest up - but inevitably this kid would find it and totally lay it to waste. I can't tell you how many times I returned to find my pit emptied and lined with Fletchers, Rawleighs, Dr. Caldwells, and other culls. Made me angry, but I suppose taught me valuable lessons in life (several old-chestnut adages would apply here).

diggincajun

Reaction score
My advise on this is to first contact Church. If the church has given permission contact that person and work a deal out, if you can. I've had too many of my spots dug by other diggers with no respect for my efferts I put in finding that spot nor did they care about filling in the hole, it was a grab and run situation in a couple of them. I've found out that some and when I say some it's not the majority of diggers, but some really couldn't give a darn about your time you put in it or the property owners permission. It's sad to see this happening but it is and it gives all diggers a bad rap and when it comes time to get permission in some areas because of this type of attitude alot of property owners will run you out and that's ashame.

bottlecrazy

Reaction score
According to the cover of the latest edition of Antique Bottle and Glass Collector magazine, there will be an article on this very subject, bottle etiquette, in next month's edition.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter