Digging stories.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saphireblue

Reaction score
Lets hear some digging stories. I got quite a few stories. Ill tell one for now. I was digging by my father-in-laws camp with a friend once. The dump was from around the 1930s. There was nothing that great up there but found a few soda bottles. Well anyways just when we were finishing up digging we heard a bunch of dogs barking and growling. It scared the crap out of me. There was 4 rottweilers charging full speed at us. There was a tree about 6 inches wide right beside me. My friend said he never seen anybody climb a tree so fast in his life. I was half way up that tree in a second. The tree was so thin that it was bowing. Here the dogs were all talk and I embarassed myself for nothing they were giving my friend kisses lol. My friend still jokes with me about that story to this day.

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey all I'am going to start out a store that started 41 years ago .With me as a boy of 8 .Back in those day parentes didnt let children stay in the house unless it was misrable out side .Be sides I didn't want to be anyway . I was a roamer even back then. Well anyway I spent a lot of time in the creek that was down over the bank from our house.On one such day while walken the bank I came across some potter shared and what I thought were indian peaces pipes as my dad told many indian storys about KY. So I collected a few and took them home most broken in one way or the other to find they really didnt intrest him . I was told that they werent indian but may have be traded to them but weren't what he wanted ,So I kind of stuck that in the back of my mind and never really thought much about it till getting in to collecting bottles an such theses days.Well the other day those thoughts came back as I was looking at a post about an auction which has a lot of stone wear which is coming up soon around here. MMMMwounder if I can find that place agian I thought.So me and Zach took off the other day and on the way down the creek after thinking well I 've lost it . There it was .By now we had run out of time and didnt have much time to look.But now I know right were it is..Heres just a few thing from around there .There still was broken pottery and stone wear every were.Not sure if I 'll find any thing whole but I'll be back to find out. From the shard I found I belive this to be a home town pottery site witch no one seem to know were it was called Thomas pottery . Heres a few small peices I brought to show. Ill take more pics to show after I an done there . Thanks all and good luck diggen to ya. bill

83C22FEF28054F5C8EAC54E5C27AABA2.jpg

Attachments

• 83C22FEF28054F5C8EAC54E5C27AABA2.jpg
    83C22FEF28054F5C8EAC54E5C27AABA2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 56

idigjars

Reaction score
WoW! That is way cool Bill. Remarkable that stuff was still there after 41 years!! Thanks to you and Jake for sharing a story. Good luck digging and finding items for your collections! Paul

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I had an experience similar to yours Jake. I was down in Tennessee, scouting for bottles where the house used to be that my grandmother grew up in and I hear these dogs barking. Well, all my life I was filled up with stories about wild dog attacks in the Tennessee hills and how my cousin went through rabies shots, etc. I've also read all of Tom Brown's books and his dog stories. Off in the distance I can see five dogs running in a line my direction and thought, ut oh, five of them and one of me, not a good ratio!. I stayed very still, not knowing if they've seen or smelled me and tryed to make out what the alpha dog looked like. After a dreaded while they all passed within about 75 feet apparently not seeing me. As they got close I had to internally chuckle as every single one of them was some pretty small kind of dog.

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey all .rio I didnt even dig theses were just under the leaves I moved around .There were large pieces of stone wear all over the top of the ground . I 'll be heading back as soon as I can to dig When I was a little boy I seem to remember there being lot of clay pipes . Were having a really bad storm right now or I'd be there now . Here a pic of DO-DA in the creek . Thanks agian all for looken and good luck diggen all. bill

D660E73D90B0440E9703CE3DCE2B2B95.jpg

Attachments

• D660E73D90B0440E9703CE3DCE2B2B95.jpg
    D660E73D90B0440E9703CE3DCE2B2B95.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 53

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey all got a chance to run up this creek agian just before dark . Iam now sure this was the site of THOMAS pottery .found a number of shards with this or part of this name on them .Found a few more pipes to still havent dug into the hill side. I really dont exspect to find hole piece besides a pipe or to tho. Might get luck and hit a bottle pile tho.

6D3B5894620F40808DEBB27D2ECD3D0D.jpg

Attachments

• 6D3B5894620F40808DEBB27D2ECD3D0D.jpg
    6D3B5894620F40808DEBB27D2ECD3D0D.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 59

dollarbill

Reaction score
Some of the shards .Thanks for looken and good luck diggen al. bill

406A91FC19FA4720B7B5174AD349AAC2.jpg

Attachments

• 406A91FC19FA4720B7B5174AD349AAC2.jpg
    406A91FC19FA4720B7B5174AD349AAC2.jpg