Digs gone by...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
Something I do to cure Spring Fever is going back and looking at old digs. Gives me something to look forward to! Since it's been so slow, I figured I'd share a few...

We do Some digging in the winter, but not much. Dug this hole one cold day with NO keepers!!!
febdigfour-1.jpg

As long as there isn't alot of snow, we can usually keep a yard clean. It's warm in the hole, but COLD up top!!!
dirtone-1.jpg

Big round brickliner. Got some nice 60's and 70's stuff outta there!
winterpit.jpg

Loved this construction site! Some nice OLD glass came outta the ground there. We followed the dump trucks full of dirt and dug through the piles they hauled off of this site!!!
mainstdig.jpg

Always Tough digging on construction sites! Need a spike, a sledge hammer, an iron digger, a probe and Determination to find privies like this. Jerry scratchin out another!
gravelhole.jpg

It can be worth it when they're Loaded!
digs.jpg

Small square brickliner. It's hard to believe how dirt can come out of this small hole.
pitone.jpg

Cliff getting down to the use layer in a woodliner.
cliffone.jpg

Jerry (J Bird) pulling up buckets.
jbird.jpg

Getting some goodies!
sodapit.jpg

This was a fun spot! Glass laying Everywhere. A cellar, trash pits, a cistern and privies were all uncovered and ripe for the pickins!
reedsdig.jpg

Liked this spot to! Found my very first privy on this site. They tore down another house like the red one on the corner.
houseone.jpg

Small oval brickliner. One man can dig one of these in a few hours, if all goes well!
digpicsfour.jpg

I always check those Dirt piles!!! Found some good glass and stoneware on this site. Dump fill 15 feet deep!
constructionone.jpg

Tim down in an oval brickliner. This one was Loaded with lime and trash... almost no dirt! Got a nice jug outta there!
digone.jpg

We always do our best to keep it clean at a permission. Can you see where the other privies were dug next to this one?
julydigpitfour-1.jpg

The worst is when you hit Water like we did in this Huge rectangular brickliner. Tim slingin slop!
digsfour-1.jpg

You end up with a HOT MESS to deal with up top! Got some good bottles though, so it was worth it!
digsfive-1.jpg

Luckily we got to these before the dozers did! Can you see where we dug the privies? One was 15 feet deep and you can see a Mt. Dew bottle sticking out of it in the foreground... MY Calling Card!
digsiteone.jpg

Got in a few good cisterns to. Me down in the bottom of one. Got a nice cranberry red glass lamp outta there!
cisternhole.jpg

Always nice to see at the end of a hard day of digging!
septcisterndigsix.jpg

Hang in there diggers... Spring is Near! Just six more weeks or so here. Hope to get out and do some digging and arrowhead hunting this year, for sure!!!

RedGinger

Reaction score
Those are fun pics, Chris. Gotta keep us all inspired! It gives me hope that spring will be here soon. Fred, want to go to that place we were talking about soon?? Hopefully, we won't get any snow for a little while. If it warms up a little, we could go scratching around that yard.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Chris,

Thanks for this dig down memory lane. Just the ticket on a frozen feet, moguls in the driveway, kinda day. Hey, is the Blue Guy in the center of this photo
digs.jpg
one of those British Price's Patent Candle's? Hope that's on yer shelf. I'm still hoping to dig one. There's gotta be some Spring at the end of this tunnel of the icy winds. Just another 2 or 3 months I keep telling myself...

oahorbust.jpg

lexdigger

Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. Yeah surfaceone, that cobalt is a wedge shaped Prices Patent. Pretty cool bottle for sure! They turn up around here every so often for some reason? Don't have one on the shelf at this time... I've let go of most all my good bottles. Still got a few keepers around here, but mostly just common stuff.

lexdigger

Reaction score
Here's a better pic of it. Sadly, I haven't had the thrill of digging one yet either! Every one I've ever dug has been busted all to hell. I've seen three or four come out good though.

BEB3129329564C039C11DAC748B1C018.jpg

Attachments

• BEB3129329564C039C11DAC748B1C018.jpg
    BEB3129329564C039C11DAC748B1C018.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 46

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Thanks for a great post and pictures,makes me feel like spring is almost here !Some one mentioned a while back you would be the one to ask about a contract used to make sure landowners would not be held responsible for any accidents while digging . Do you have a standard form you use ,and do you have it notarized or anything ? Thanks and hope you find great glass and stone this year too !
m16.gif

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Hey Chris,
It's been a while since I've seen pics from you. Great stuff to share with us. Love that picture of the construction site with all that black pay dirt showing. Anytime an excavator hits into that dark soil I get excited hoping to find artifacts and bottles.

Doug

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen