dk green bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, picked this up at the balt. bottle show. i had to hit the mark down tables. pretty green color, and embossed. 8 1/4" tall, 1 7/8" square. embossed 1 side, S.C.W.S.,2nd side shiedhall, 3rd side essence of coffee & chicory. i did a serch last night, pssibly an english bottle? a forum menber also had one listed for sale. any information or dating welcome. thanks rhona

Ig13161.jpg

whosyerdaddy

Reaction score
Definitely ENGLISH or maybe AUSSIE i like the top and color purty sure before the turn of the century still a nice ole bottle worthy of a place the window whosyerdaddy!!!!!!

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Rhona,
That IS a pretty shade of green!It appears the seams go thru the lip in your photo,yeah?1920's I'd guess,maybe as late as 1930.
I'd be very suprised if that bottle is British.(Apologies to Whosyerdaddy!)I've been around the world a few times and the only place I've ever found Coffee and CHICORY in the same container is around New Orleans.(Mississippi Delta region)Definately an acquired taste![:'(](Apologies to any Chicory lovers out there)Anywhere else in the world wanting that combination I've never come accross,though who's been everywhere?[:D]

Neat bottle nevertheless.Will look good backlit in a window display![:D](Hav U seen Bearswede's Early morning Light post yet?NICE!)

KAT

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day

Shiedhall is located in Glasgow, Scotland; perhaps a UK member can provide more details on the bottle and 'SCWS' tradename.

Essence of Coffee and Chicory was very popular in 1900's - quite a few found out here in Australia; Bushell's still make it in a similar shape bottle with screw top.

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day again

A quick Google search reveals that 'SCWS' probably stands for Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society. The Glasgow Story Wesbite has some information on the Cooperative and the products they produced (http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSD00128)

The Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society (SCWS) was founded in 1868 to serve the Scottish co-operative movement as a wholesaler. Membership was open only to registered co-operative societies and employees of the society. During the 1880s the SCWS extended the principle of co-operative trading further by setting up the first of its many manufacturing enterprises, producing a wide range of products such as polishes, bleaches, insecticides, and disinfectants and a range of pharmaceuticals.

The SCWS headquarters was in Morrison Street in Kingston. By the 1950s about 75 per cent of its distributive trade was conducted from its warehouses in Glasgow, and it had opened retail branches in many areas not served by one of the city's eight retail co-op societies.

Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, DC198/2/18

The bottle is found in clear/aqua glass as well a clear glass sample size.

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

grimdigger1

Reaction score
Definitely a UK bottle ..these date 1920 / 1930 and come in two sizes ,,earlier ones are in aqua glass..

IRISH

Reaction score
I agree with Kat that the stuffs revolting but as Dirranbandi said it was very populer here, there are a few million common ones in every 1900's tip here [:mad:] .

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, thanks for all the information, i really apreciate it. nice to have this information on a bottle i really like. i am of scotts/irish decent. that make,s it special. thanks alot, rhona

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem